Thread: Fishing, Falmouth area.

Hobo

Fishing, Falmouth area.

Anyone up for fishing In the Falmouth area (Cornwall) this summer?
    I've got all the kit from the last few years, but not much good at catching anything bar mackerel. (Not a bad thing...) if anyone is up for it and can teach me anything let me know.
    Shore or Sit on tops..
    Daffodil..
    38, transport and not too chatty.

Hello Daffodil

I will be up for a bit of fishing in the Summer months. I know what you mean about the Mackerel, when they are in you can't fail to catch. I tend to fish down at Mylor Harbour for the Mackerel. I have had a few different species down there, and at least once a year pay for a trip on the Wave Chieftan which is moored in the harbour.

http://www.cornishfishing.co.uk/

Church Street car park in Falmouth is always a good place for a bit of fishing and you do catch the occasional Bass there. I haven't fished Pendennis Point since a tourist's dog decided to jump down, eat the contents of my bait tray and then swallow my baited hook. The dog owner just stood there saying that he always did it. After stuffing a float in the dogs mouth sideways and wrapping the line round its snout, I sent him packing to the vets in Falmouth.

I can't do the rock fishing anymore due to a bad back and the last time I fished Treliever it was very, very close to an Air Sea Rescue when my back went, so now I stick to the safer marks.

I will be up for it though when it warms up a bit.

Hobo
    Sounds good, I'm using feathers for mackerel, and spinners afloat. Tried float fishing once and did'nt catch anything that day.
    Any good tips for increasing my range of fish? A bass would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
    Any good tips for increasing my range of fish? A bass would be nice.
    Now that's the million dollar question.

Local knowledge is always the best but a lot of fisherman won't give details about the marks they fish. Rig setups and different baits always make a difference, as well as the depth that you fish. Check out some of the sea fishing forums on the net, they are always a good source of info about what is been caught in the local area.

http://www.southwestseafishing.co.uk/

I have lived down here in Cornwall for 24 years now and have seen a big decline in whats being caught around the coast. A lot of the local fishermen are going ultra light with their gear to give them a better chance of hooking something but I'm yet to be convinced. Praa Sands isn't bad in the Summer months for a bit of sport. Last time I fished it my bait was whole cooked prawns, shell on. From the minute I casted in the rod didn't stop banging but I still only caught a couple. This might have been down to inexperience or it could have been crabs chomping on the bait.

If you want to catch loads of fish, you have to put the hours in, its simple as that. Make sure that your bait is as fresh as possible and that you are fishing the tide at the correct time needed to catch your chosen species.

Hobo
    Thank you for your help Chubbs, it's as I thought, you have to put the time in to learn. How's that fair.

But I can still throw a spinner off the back of the boat for a giggle.

I am always up for going fishing.

aman
    aman