Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New video camera recommendations.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar

New video camera recommendations.

I'm looking to get a fairly reasonable video camera, I have a youtube account but want to start posting videos. I've got about a £250 I can get as a budget in the next couple of months. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good one. Editing isn't a problem as I've already done had experience at it and I can record sound with either a tie pin mic system, or for some videos do a voice over explanation. Any help gratefully received, cheers
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

for me i would without a doubt choose a Dslr system the footage on modern dslrs is so good they use them for movies no joke! there a little more than 250 at around 275... BUT YOU GET ONE HELL OF A CAMERA!
    canon Eos 1100

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMENDED! GOPRO HERO3

The video quality from these little things is excellent and theres plenty of gear out there like lenses cases clips clamps mics etc and there as tough as old boots!

or maybe if your more after a dedicated platform try the Canon HF10 round the same price
    Canon HF10 HD

if you need any help choosing sensors or features or mpxl etc just inbox me and ill help out
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Never thought about using a dslr. I've used them for photography, is there any restrictions on how long they will record for?
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Never thought about using a dslr. I've used them for photography, is there any restrictions on how long they will record for?
    Biggest restriction is the size of your memory card and by default the amount of disposable £££ you have

Two ways to go , lots of small , say 4 or 8 Gb cards and small editable chunks of movie ...

Or pay through the nose for the professional 64 Gb cards ... Professional cards equal professional money !!!

Personally I use several small cards and download them frequently ,

less chance of loosing all the data too !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 01-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Only the size of the memory card. And you'll need a fast one, wich is expensive.
    I am using a goPro cam for most videos these days. But I also have a DSLR. Mine is and old Canon EOS 50d. This cam can't really do live pictures, but the firmware can be hacked, And I've done so. So that I can film. But there is no micrphone so that one is sillent movies only, he he...but all Canon models after mine came with live HD filming built in, so they have mics.

But I also have a regular point and shoot cam, that can film in HD. I used that one for all my Youtube pieces until I got the goPro last autumn.

The pros and cons:

Cons:
    dSLR: Heavy. To be effective must use manual focus.

Point and shoot: No external mic possible, not so sturdy and no weather protection. No camera shake reduction in movie mode

GoPro: No camera shake reduction, no zoom, everything is auto, and no built in screen.
    Can use external screen like your phone connected wia wifi, but this causes interference with a an external mic. And the external mic is necessary
    as the bulit in mic is useless trough the weather protection...

Pros:
    dSLR: Amazing quality in pictures

Point and shoot: Small, has zoom, auto focus.

goPro: Small, light weight, can take a hell of a beating, weather proof.

For all: GET EXTRA BATTERIES!

They go fast when its cold.

I have at least 4 batteries for each cam...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Don't worry mine is 64gb, but I have a few 16gb ones too. I just know some older cameras have a 60 second restriction on the recording length, which was programmed into it.
    Border Bushcrafters

Sorry I'm just imagining your silent movies, in sepia and you dressed like Charlie Chaplin. I can just see you paying a small child to run across the screens with those cards and everyone is walking super fast lol. But I digress, thanks for your info.
    Border Bushcrafters

you can get simple with maybe a small tripod or go all out! The Avengers (2012 film) was shot on a HD/DSLR as well as Act of Valor and countless tv shows the qualitys that good! but they are rather hefty
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tilta-3-DSLR-video-camera-Rig-movie-Kit-Best-Follow-focus-Matte-Box-Safety-case-Carbon.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	11759
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Aye that's way more complicated than I need lol, but a tripod isn't a problem. I have a couple of those. But unlike certain well known people I don't have number of people carrying my kit for me, keeping it sensible makes sense lol
    Border Bushcrafters

i like those little gorilla pods there fantastic! they glamp wrap and grip to poles branches trunks and bushes i got mine from aldi for all of £4