Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 really cheap tents

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Aye the modern nylon numbers I'd be hesitant heating with a stove. It just makes me nervous.
    High altitude climbers, troops, Arctic/Antarctic expeditions, me and thousands of other campers heat nylon tents so just use common sense and don't worry.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Gelert solo tents are the exception, but my experience of cheap tents is they are heavy and prone to damage, take longer to set up and pack down. In extreme situations, snow, wind, rain and camping in isolated areas, I personally wouldn't risk it. Id rather have a b&q tarp and bivvy than trust cheap tent.

A good quality tent will last you years and in the long run save you money.

Quote Originally Posted by tent peg View Post
    Gelert solo tents are the exception, but my experience of cheap tents is they are heavy and prone to damage, take longer to set up and pack down. In extreme situations, snow, wind, rain and camping in isolated areas, I personally wouldn't risk it. Id rather have a b&q tarp and bivvy than trust cheap tent.

A good quality tent will last you years and in the long run save you money.
    Depending on where, when and how often you use it. A tarp shelter won't compete with a tent in terms of shelter from the elements unless you rig it as a ...tent.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Removed by the Moderating Team due to previous post having been quoted. Sorry for any inconvenience Midge_Fodder as your comment was valid.
    Last edited by jus_young; 02-03-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Depending on where, when and how often you use it. A tarp shelter won't compete with a tent in terms of shelter from the elements unless you rig it as a ...tent.
    Which you can do easily, making it much better than Tesco tent. Especially in survival/Bushcraft situations. To suggest otherwise is IMO risking others health and safety.

You can rig a tarp as a tent, but the tent has zips, groundsheet etc, a better shield from the elements really, just my view. I did the tarp route when I was a 'survivalist' over thirty years ago but tents lured me back.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    You can rig a tarp as a tent, but the tent has zips, groundsheet etc, a better shield from the elements really, just my view. I did the tarp route when I was a 'survivalist' over thirty years ago but tents lured me back.
    I agree, a tent is often the best way, but not a Tesco special more often than not they don't even make it through music festivals...

They are fine in the shelter of woodland but I'd not use one on open hills thats for sure. I put a Tesco two or three man dome up in the Garden for my grandchildren to use as a 'den'. I'm not camping much these days, more family glamping I really should 'cut the cord' and sell on the 'better' tents I've got...just can't bring myself to do it...yet. I will do it, I did it with my stove collection but its hard to part with some things even if they don't get used...cue violin music.
    Richard
    South Wales UK