Well guys I have no photos this time as I didn't have my phone and my camera has packed in. But despite a couple of soakings, I had a great time up at one of my favourite wee spot. I met up with Farmboy again as I usually do for my weekly meet with him as usual. These outings have been pretty consistent for about 13 years now as we have had the run of the countryside since we were bairns. So we set out this morning nice and early, stopped off at the post office in the village to get some breakfast (their fresh bacon rolls are lovely), then set off for walk up into the woods. Since the weather has been awful lately there is a lot of wind fall and the broken branches associated with it. There was literally a birch propped on another bouncing in the mild breeze today.

So we get to the clearing where we usually pitch up to get a brew on. We found a lovely standing piece of dead wood, which was a snagged beech limb held up 2 feet off the ground. We cut it to size and quartered it. We used wedges to do this as it made a change, usually it involves me and a hefty swing from my scandinavian forest axe. Yes this axe isn't a favourite amongst bushcrafters, but as a man a wee bit over 6'4" it's comfier for me. Axes are never safe if you feel awkward using it IMO. Anyway there's no guessing what the quartered log was used for.

We sat down and had a lovely brew of needle tea, I do enjoy it a lot . Ohh and it had a lovely bit of belly pork we packed for lunch, we used our diy fire forks to cook it. I will put up a page on how to make them if anyone wants.

This afternoon I spent giving my old pal a carving lesson, woodwork isn't his forte tbh. I showed him the beginnings of a trench bowl, which he got the gist of pretty quickly as someone spent time showing him what to do. So yes if someone's wanting to learn teach them.

On the way home we started to loose light a wee bit, not my favourite time of the day. I suppose that will teach us to drink loads of needle tea and get engrossed in carving lol. But dim light means deer to us and as usual out of the hedge a roe deer comes belting out and across the road. This time it must have only been 10 feet away from us.

It was 7.30 when I got back home, but hey it was a day well spent.