Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Homemade Budget Stove?

The Best Homemade Budget Stove?

I've made penny stoves, wood burning stoves from tin cans, bake bean tins, all sorts of random design idea's....

Just want to see what people think is their best "budget" cooking example?

I would say mine was, a tinned can of smart price potatoes, (obviously the empty can ) then, made a door for putting the wood in,

drilled a couple of holes for some old tent pegs to make a stand for other pots to sit on,

used old bake bean cans to cook on the top, as the diameter was slightly smaller than the potato can,

unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but you get the idea...
    Last edited by jus_young; 27-02-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Resize text, too hard to read
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/

I like em all,addicted to building them.find myself looking at tins n bottle sizes n shapes,rather than whats in them.lol.
    Think the Best stove Ive made is the Double coil spirit stove,(ie,coil of 8mm copper pipe,coiled,fitted into a jar lid.)Love the roar it makes,very hot flame,yet economical.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

I don't mind which sort of stove, but for me they need to be short and wide,
    I've had a couple of home made wood gas stoves which function perfectly, but they are a bit unstable,
    I will eat almost anything preferably without leaves and soil...lol
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0124.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	11732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0126.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	11731This is one of my favorites[[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0056.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	11727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	11728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1339344388472.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	11730 Its like a kelly kettle, the woodburner fits into the SS billy and my fire kit goes inside the burner along wth the trivet and a few other bits, the kettle is a 500ml beer can. Take the top part off and put the trivet on to use the billy can or some other pan, all in all it works very well, its light but a bit tall
    Last edited by Rasputin; 27-02-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

For me the simplest neatest and best looking DIY cook kit is the IKEA hobo stove ...

Use with a nesting Tea/Coffee/Sugar caddy as a cook pot and a few cheap tent pegs ... Bingo!!!

Can team it with your favourite penny , pop can , white box or trangia meths stove makes a windshield too!!!

Shop in my favourite outlet stores like Sally Army , Pilgrims Hospice , Age Concern , you get the idea ,

and you can find one as cheap as chips , try the boot fairs and its even cheaper !!!

True you won't get any spuds , carrots or dog food but isn't the shiney stainless steel worth it ?!?!

Won't bother posting a pic ... there are loads of really good examples on the site already ...

Use the search engine top right corner ...

Some chap made a really good example for his wife only a few weeks ago !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Quote Originally Posted by Whistle View Post
    For me the simplest neatest and best looking DIY cook kit is the IKEA hobo stove ...

Use with a nesting Tea/Coffee/Sugar caddy as a cook pot and a few cheap tent pegs ... Bingo!!!

Can team it with your favourite penny , pop can , white box or trangia meths stove makes a windshield too!!!

Shop in my favourite outlet stores like Sally Army , Pilgrims Hospice , Age Concern , you get the idea ,

and you can find one as cheap as chips , try the boot fairs and its even cheaper !!!

True you won't get any spuds , carrots or dog food but isn't the shiney stainless steel worth it ?!?!

Won't bother posting a pic ... there are loads of really good examples on the site already ...

Use the search engine top right corner ...

Some chap made a really good example for his wife only a few weeks ago !!!

Cheers Whistle
    I've heard a lot about these IKEA hobo stoves, I am yet to find the correct pieces in IKEA however, now I live in New Zealand, that's gone out the window!
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-06 14.06.19.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	11843I picked up an ikea container a couple of years ago but still has screwdrivers and tat on my bench in the garage, prob is since I picked up a Swedish twig burning volcano type stove the desire has wained to get of my bum and do something (way to much other stuff to do)

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Time constraints, the scourge of the working bushcrafter. Seriously I've got so many plans, yet no time to do it in lol. More to the point it's not hard or expensive to make a woodgas stove, but if you want a stove yesterday it's easy and cheap to make a Jumbo dog meat can hobo stove.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Alone in the Wilderness
    I have made lots, use ikea hobo stove that is cut down to fit in my pan set but my favorite goto stove is my meths burner made from aluminum beer bottle.

ikea hobo is robust, cheap and works quiet well...