Thread: Spraying Reindeer Antlers With Reflective Paint To Prevent Car Accidents

Spraying Reindeer Antlers With Reflective Paint To Prevent Car Accidents

Seen here looking suspiciously like the Grinch's homemade reindeer, a reindeer in Norway poses with its reflective painted antlers, or 'bling sticks' as they like to refer to them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reflective-antler-reindeer.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	11720
    Herders in Norway have recently started painting their reindeer's antlers and fur with reflective paint to prevent traffic accidents because motorists can't see them. Sadly, nearly 4,000 reindeer die each year in Norway due to traffic accidents, to be honest... i think its pretty awsome...
    “The aim is to prevent traffic accidents. The spray is being tested on fur at the moment, but it may be even more effective on the antlers, because they are seen from every side,”
    says Anne Ollila, chairwoman of the Reindeer Herders Association.
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

I think you can take the number of deaths with a couple kilos of salt. The same herders claim that 47000 reindeer was eaten by Norways population of 500 lynx and wolverines last year only...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was more thinking along the lines of survival luminous antler mora knife handles..
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 27-02-2014 at 05:30 AM.