Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young Fly Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    I don't know, there's a lot of the young lads around the greater area fly fish & I know a number who tie their own, it's quite a lucrative business for them in most parts selling on their produce to both individuals & local tackle shops. Remember fly fishing/tying is an art a very useful survival tool. To catch a fish observing what they're feeding on & then re-producing a decoy/copy of such takes skill especially in something as small as a fly/lure. Young David certainly knows his stuff & is appreciated by the number of those of a similar age & older who go on fishing trips with he.
    Regards
    David
    True words, David...it's just a shame that so many people here shy-away from fly fishing because they say it is "too difficult". It's easier for many of them to cast their gigantic spinning rods (or even bait-cast rods) with lures the size of your fist into a small pond and expect a 14 kilo largemouth bass to jump on the hook every time their line hits the water....which just doesn't happen.
    I applaud the Young Fly Fisher for his deep interest, knowledge and skill of the art - we need more lads like him in the States .

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Game anglers tend not to be spinners I've found, course is alive and well for that sort of thing. What I've noticed though is my nephew is fascinated by it all. He's only 2 but he does nothing but sit with his aunty looking at photos of me fishing and my monthly magazines. If he's good and doesn't wind up my cats, gets too look in my fly box, or I'll tie a few he picks out of a book and he watches. It's nice that he is interested as that is the future of the sport. I'll get him on the bank when he's about 5, bit young yet.
    Fly-tying is what I want to get into next...unfortunately coin is a bit short now that I quit my job (corruption in the business ownership - long story...). I have no vise, very few tools, and almost no thread or other materials (yet ). But I have been very keen on watching Davie McPhail's vids on youtube .
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 02-03-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: adding quote
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar

Young Fly Fisher

Plus if you think what we put into flies all the time, we come across this stuff regularly through our bushcraft experiences. Believe it or not I make a buzzer pattern from 550. I recon on the whole we should collectively be promoting it, the more people start tying and fly fishing, even tenkara for the primitives, we could do wonders for the sport but also the skills use for us all. With a note on Davie McPhail's tying videos, I really improved my tying since watching his videos.
    Last edited by Midge_Fodder; 02-03-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk