Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in your hydration kit?

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Think I'll have to, seems a waste to ring em to send just one millbank bag...Will need to try and see if they have any other stuff that I "need"
    I feel the force is strong with this one.

I use 0,5 and 1L Tatonka stainless steel bottles. No PVC and BpA, unbreakable, lightweight - and you can boil water in them.

i have a 58 patt bottle, 2 x Jack Pyke ally bottles (400ml and 568ml or thereabouts) - one of these for day trips or similar and a 2 litre one (off fleabay) for bike camping.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Millbank bag for water collection. 58 pattern water bottle for storing cooking water. Then a camelbak in a lightweight yolk for drinking, useful on its own for wanders from camp. Simples

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    I usually would just drink from a clear stream in the highlands, Just got to watch out for the dead animal upstream...

Trying to get a millbank bag for other trips but the only place that sells them is endicotts and it's in exeter...
    You could try http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php there not on the website but I got one from the shop recently and he also had the larger millbank bag for groups. Might be worth an email or call.

I usually carry a Patt 58 bottle, crusader cup (boiling/cooking), PreMac pump, maybe a Platypus collapsible bottle and four puritabs (just in case)

i carry nato bottles and milbank and thats all, not many clear running water in essex.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    I've tried pouch type systems, but I find the water really tastes of plastic
    i have a 2 ltr water bladder and have the same problem,does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the plastic taste that comes from them or does that taste just happen in the cheap ones,mine is a dark green color and the feed pipe is the same color,got it off ebay for around the tenner mark
    any help would be grately appreciated
    peace ken

Quote Originally Posted by kesom View Post
    i have a 2 ltr water bladder and have the same problem,does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the plastic taste that comes from them or does that taste just happen in the cheap ones,mine is a dark green color and the feed pipe is the same color,got it off ebay for around the tenner mark
    any help would be grately appreciated
    peace ken
    This should help

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/ki...-answered.html

although I personally have abandoned my camelpak now in favour of carrying three 0.5L aluminium bottles that can be stashed around my pack/person. The main reason for this was the high maintenance of the camelpak, plus I prefer having the versatility of smaller bottles.

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Firstly, washing in a solution of bicarbonate of soda should help with eliminating the bad taste. In fact, leave a solution of bicarb' in over night and then wash out the next day. Secondly, after cleaning, store your bladder in the freezer until you need it next time. That will stop the build up of any bacteria. I do this with my Platypus bottles and they don't have any taint after well over a year.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    now in favour of carrying three 0.5L aluminium bottles that can be stashed around my pack/person. The main reason for this was the high maintenance of the camelpak, plus I prefer having the versatility of smaller bottles.

Cheers

Phil
    cheers phil,the half litre bottles do sound like a good idea aswell,duely noted,thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Firstly, washing in a solution of bicarbonate of soda should help with eliminating the bad taste. In fact, leave a solution of bicarb' in over night and then wash out the next day. Secondly, after cleaning, store your bladder in the freezer until you need it next time. That will stop the build up of any bacteria. I do this with my Platypus bottles and they don't have any taint after well over a year.

Martin
    thank you martin,i'll do that solution asap and the storage and see how i get on,hopefully it'll work on my cheap bladder like it has on yours,i'm actually surprised to hear that the platypus had any taste when new considering the price of them
    anyway's thank you very much again your always great help

best wishes to you both,ken