Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First wild camp Cairngorms

Trapper
    welcome to the forum, but reading your posts, you sound to me that your trying to run before you can walk
    a hiker that does not own a compass?

in all honesty I think you'd be better off cancelling the flight, and trying to find a buddy closer to home that you can have a few practise weekends with, as putting yourself out there on your own with little or no knowledge of how to go about it, is a no brainer in my book
    as well as putting yourself at risk, it could end up being a drain on the rescue services that have too much to handle as it is

fill your profile in and add your location, you may well have another member from here on your doorstep, then have a one or two nights camping out, close to home or the car in case its needed, you will at least then be able to judge from experience on how much is needed, rather than reading it on a forum

Thanks for the advice with the walking poles, I'll give that a try!

@ratcatcher: I appreciate your concern, but unless I am missing something, I have to ask, is it really THAT difficult to use a compass? Like I said I learned it back in school, and I don't remember it being that hard. Therefore I mean that - maybe I am indeed underestimating it?

I don't one a compass as yet because simply I've never needed one in the areas of Norway and Switzerland where I've been hiking, even the slightly more remote places. Of course I am not going to be completely stupid about it, I won't take any chances by walking off into the wild if I'm not 100% certain that I have the skill needed to find my way back out. As far as I can see I am challenging myself enough simply by sleeping outside for an extended amount of time, I don't need the whole survival experience in there as well. Instead I intend to practice close to Aviemore (and its hostel, in case it all gets too much), staying within a few hours walking distance of "civilisation" before I even attempt to venture out further.

Long story short, if you think I really am missing something major when it comes to compass skills, I'll be very grateful if you point that out to me! Maybe I am indeed underestimating it. But isn't life all about learning new skills?

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Was it an ordinary or a sighting compass you learned with?
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Ok the BEST literature I have read for map n compass work is Mountain navigation by Peter Cliff, ISBN 1-871890-55-1. £7 new. Make it your toilet book, travel book, bed book, you get my drift. Re read it constantly. You have underestimated map reading if you question that you have underestimated it. It can be Very difficult. If the fog/cloud drops, can you confidently KNOW where you are, what you present bearing is and are you confident enough to walk 'blind' on a bearing!?

I have been outdoors many times as a living and as a hobby. My last outing saw me relearn many skills and reacquainting myself with familiar kit. I wouldn't have wanted to do it in Carp weather.

Keep trying, learning, Questioning and learning some more. Most of all, get out there and DOOOOO IT! And Enjoy it too!! These are all things you will carry with you for the rest of life. Be proud of ya self when you've learnt them too and tell us all about it
    Winter is coming

Good on you for setting yourself a target and planning ahead in plenty of time. You could wait the rest of your life and spend countless trips over several years with experienced people and still have plenty to learn.

Staying on the low ground is a good plan, and should not leave you short of water sources. unfortunately the Cairngorms is the largest area of high ground in the UK, and that means plateaus rather than peaks, so views would be limited and orientation difficult / lethal on that terrain. A good place to experience this issue on a smaller scale would be the Kinder scout plateau in the peak district (the ground may be high - but all you see is sky!).

I don't know if you smoke a pipe, but if you're going to Scotland in June, then (trust me) all this stuff will pale into insignificance when you begin to endure the Scottish midge!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Ohhh buy this stuff called midge repel and another thing is bug oil, Fiona makes great stuff that actually works. Trust me those blighters make light work of bleeding you dry, causing cellulitis and giving you the mother of all bites. Up there the midges could very well drag off the odd sheep or cow.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Ohhh buy this stuff called midge repel and another thing is bug oil, Fiona makes great stuff that actually works. Trust me those blighters make light work of bleeding you dry, causing cellulitis and giving you the mother of all bites. Up there the midges could very well drag off the odd sheep or cow.
    Whooaahh - don't put the bloke off!

I once went for a wild camp in the hills when the midges descended at dusk - just as I was wanting to cook a meal. The Coleman stove was playing up (now I clean it regularly) and was shooting long orange flame upwards - making cooking in the tent impossible..Grrrrrr!! I ended up dining behind the midge screen on just a snickers bar, rather than go outside, and re-enact that scene from "the mummy" - where the human is consumed by insects! That was only near Ladybower reservoir in the peak district, and north of the border (those wee) things get worse. I found the "perfect pitch" for a tent on a back road near Torridon once ("how come no-one else is here?" he thought). I soon found out why - as the still half-erected tent was thrown rapidly in the boot, pursued by thousands of Satan's miniature representatives. I think that night was spent in the car...again.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

I honestly think the worst ones are on sky, I never seem to get bitten ironically, just inhale loads. I've seen what a midge can do. Just make sure your protected as hospital and IV anti bio tics isn't fun
    Border Bushcrafters

@ Blood: Thank you very much for that useful advice and the words of encouragement. I will get the book and get on it. For a compass I now own the Recta DS-50. I am very concerned about the danger of underestimating certain risks that may present themselves, so I intend to take great care in preparing myself for as many eventualities as possible. Hopefully with the help of the book and regular practice outside I can get up to speed in time for my adventure.

Indeed the idea behind this trip came about many years ago, and the decision to just book the flight was made in order to finally force myself to actually go through with it this time. Which I will And from then on I expect to spend many years practising, learning and making new experiences as my skills develop through practical application.

As for the midges - Hospital and IV antibiotics?? Would you care to elaborate? I mean I am getting a headnet for sure, and will hopefully find an effective repellent in Aviemore that is slightly less destructive than DEET, but are they really THAT bad?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111201017748

That's the best insect repellent around and not nasty at all.

Oh on the note of hospitalisation. Last summer I know 2 people who contracted cellulitis from midge bites, one being my mother. It's not as uncommon as you'd think. The problem lies with the fact bacteria can be spread by the midges causing a bite to go septic. Also watch out as some people can also be allergic to midge bites and it isn't pretty.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i...lications.aspx
    Here's a link that will be helpfull
    Border Bushcrafters