Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab pots

Crab pots

Hi All

Anyone tried setting crab pots from the shore (I don't have a boat)

I though I could wade out at low tide (springs) set the pot and retrieve on the next tide

Any thoughts
    aman

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    No reason why it shouldn't work. We've had quite a bit of success with baiting a round net on a long line, dropping it off the pier and watching the little buggers walk straight in. Just haul them up any you're in business.

I first saw this being done in Weymouth about 35 years ago and I never forgot it.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks Martin

Might ask on network cornwall tomorrow if anyone has any pots they want to get rid of
    aman

what sort of trap are you thinking? considered making one? over here the options are limitless, ooh and I have a boat... crabs are good... you just need to have a crab dance and a pot and your in luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crabbing.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	672  
    Bang on!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    No reason why it shouldn't work. We've had quite a bit of success with baiting a round net on a long line, dropping it off the pier and watching the little buggers walk straight in. Just haul them up any you're in business.

I first saw this being done in Weymouth about 35 years ago and I never forgot it.

Martin
    we still doit at weymouth,in the spider crab season i take a burner and a pot of water to cook them right there on the pier,french stick butter fresh crab and a bottle of ginger beer!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    we still doit at weymouth,in the spider crab season i take a burner and a pot of water to cook them right there on the pier,french stick butter fresh crab and a bottle of ginger beer!
    Excellent. I remember them being Brownies and had a picture of me and my brother holding two enormous ones by the claws. Happy memories.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

For my coasteer guide training last year I had to swim out to crab pot buoys, towing two people and swim back. It was only 500m offshore round by the Gazzel by Towan headland. If you tied off the line from pot to buoy real short and attached to yourself After donning wetsuit and BA, swim out to wherever you want, undo knots and watch him sink, bobs yer beauty.
    You could even tow a couple I reckon, I aint no superfit megahuman, but I regularly tow people, sometimes two at a time, so it aint impossible. Even easier with lightweight pots!
    With a mask you could select a good site and pinpoint drop without too much swimming.
    I'd be well game for trying this method of crabbing!

I think the pots have to be weighted to stop then being swept away and becoming 'ghost pots'.
    aman

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    I think the pots have to be weighted to stop then being swept away and becoming 'ghost pots'.
    Good point, but I reckon a big enough buoy could still float a pot and weights until you sink it. Now you've planted a seed in ma heed, aman, I'm gonna have to experiment....

I have some buoys that've been washed up on various beaches, one of them is bigger than my 5 year old boy, just gotta source/make a pot and test it out.

I don't see why the wade out on a spring low technique wouldn't work either, its a more practical and energy saving method than going for a swim!

Yes, I do this here on the coast. I use one of the those springy traps, a bucket full of stones as a weight and a half filled coke bottle as a float. I use cheap cat food or old smelly fish as bait and the both work really well.

Update: there is no need to do it at low springs, any old tide will do
    Last edited by Marvell; 09-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook