Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Compo sausages

Compo sausages

Some older ex army lads may remember tinned compo sausages and tinned sausages packed lard are in the modern ten man ration packs. Made by Westlers they are stocked from time to time in B&M. They are much nicer than canned hot dogs and your eggs taste better fried in the lard. I picked up another dozen cans for my long term food storage. These are great for summer camping if you have no refrigeration for fresh sausages. 29p a can.

Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Are they good eating. Shug
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Tinned sausages in lard.
    Right.
    I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot cattle prod.
    And in case you think I'm being uptight, I'm speaking as someone who had a KFC today, so hardly being prissy.
    Lard. There's something quite onomatopoeic about the word. If you didn't know what lard was then the word alone would tell you enough.
    Anyone who wants them can have my share...
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the positive contribution lol. I got the same reaction from some on BCUK a couple of years ago when I first mentioned them.

In reality the sausages are no worse than tinned hot dog sausages and lard (if you can be bothered to do a little research) is not looked down on so much these days (same with butter) from a health point of view and in fact is back in 'fashion' with many celebrity cooks.

Secret to a happy and healthy life is a little of what you fancy won't harm you. I love food, I'm a superb cook (I don't do modesty) and I'd not eat these at home, but I've used them on camping trips and they have always gone down well (for what they are) with those who've eaten them; but then they tried them and were not judgemental without experience.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I'll give them a bash, now if they did a beef version in dripping
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    I'll give them a bash, now if they did a beef version in dripping
    Yeah, I'd try them but I would prefer them in dripping. Its not the sort of thing I would eat much of ever but as a ,meal in a ration pack for emergency use, I think it would be a great idea seeing as though its full of calories. This sort of food comes into the category of eat as part of a healthy diet or less often, its not going to do you any long term harm.

When out and about I will pick up a packet and try them for novelty value if nothing else.

I will too, worth a go. My thoughts are that a pasty has as much lard so what harm can it do
    Border Bushcrafters

Oh I am so with Mr tucker on this one, Ive had one heart bypass, trying to avoid another. But I had them many years ago and they are very tasty to be fair as are a lot of westlers canned grub
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Oh I am so with Mr tucker on this one, Ive had one heart bypass, trying to avoid another. But I had them many years ago and they are very tasty to be fair as are a lot of westlers canned grub
    I wouldn't eat them all the time tbh
    Border Bushcrafters

Compo sausages...yummy. Cheese posessed...... yummy, babies heads puddings yay !! Lots of calories designed for troops on exercise or in combat, and useful for hungry shrafters or preppers - it was amazing what the cooks could do with the 10 man rat packs
    [