Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hammock under quilt, do you need one

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogsSlave View Post
    That's why I bought it everyone rages about the comfort level. Is a reflective heat pad ok and warm?
    No as you will get convected heat loss. The mat needs to have an insulative layer as well.

back in the summer, I just used a netted hammock £2 from ASDA, then tied a cheap tarp up on the tree (think it may have been some form of poncho), jumped in my sleeping bag, then in to the hammock. Job done!

My mate Tyler, just jumped in his sleeping bag, then in a cheap foil bag (poundland), incase of any rain... Luckily we picked beautiful clear nights and never had a problem! Never slept as well in a bed as I did those cheap hammocks!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyler.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	11668
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/

After many different hammock configurations, I've sewn a rip stop nylon panel with velcro to the bottom of mine. I can slip a carry mat into it and it stays in place. Given the choice I'd always sleep in a hammock as for me it is comfortable and warm. (btw I've noticed a strange cat on my shed roof but as I haven't got a dog I'm going to do nothing about it!).

I have also tried a crude underblanket (a jungle sleeping bag safety pinned to para cord) and it worked well, but I found it just adds to the bulk of my kit.

Thus, through trial and error I have found what works for me.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

So just a standard mat that isn't being compressed by your bodyweight? And that keeps you warm?

Yup, I use a normal sealed cell carry mat that you would use in a tent. The other advantage is that if there are no trees I can ground dwell.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Yup, I use a normal sealed cell carry mat that you would use in a tent. The other advantage is that if there are no trees I can ground dwell.
    This method has see me have many comfortable nights under the stars, watch for condensation when using, but as said already, covers ground dwelling too
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    This method has see me have many comfortable nights under the stars, watch for condensation when using, but as said already, covers ground dwelling too
    I have used both, as my DD Snugpak underquilt is not enough when temps go bellow -10 celcius. But I always bring one, as they are nice to sit on by the camp fire, and when I go in, I use it to stand on while I get my clothes off, and as a "launch pad" to egt in. Also nice to be able to swing your feet out and put them on it instead of snow while you get your shoes on.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Is a reflective heat pad ok and warm?
    Try it and see
    Last edited by Paul De Fitter; 22-02-2014 at 01:47 PM.