Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TBS Boar Fixed blade in 02 tool steel. (Pic heavy)

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar

TBS Boar Fixed blade in 02 tool steel. (Pic heavy)

Unlike a lot of reviews, I'm writing this after I've had the knife for a while now, a good 8 months. These opinions are based on using this knife long term. With that said now for the review.

First thing you notice with this knife is that it has a popper closed MOLLE sheath. Ok I'll be honest when I bought this knife I always was in two minds about it. Yes it gives me modular carry options, but it does ride very high even compared to a western type sheath. But I've gave it a go and I've came up with the idea I'll make a dropper somehow. Other than that it is a very well made sheath and now they make more pouches for it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1021 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	11630

As you can see from the pics below the knife if pretty substantial. It's a 110mm blade which 10 mm longer than usual in terms of average knives we see. However it didn't affect the balance of the tool, all it added was a little extra slicing capabilities for long cuts.

Views:	1721 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	11631

Views:	1809 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	11633

Views:	585 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	11634

As you can see the knife is made from pretty thick stock, 3.5mm. I found that the grind was high enough for me, I didn't find the thickness hard to use as I did with the Woodlore (sorry).

When I went to use this knife it was as advertised razor sharp, admittedly I was only going to sort it if it wasn't. The edge has been very easy to keep, and holds it very well. So well infact my better half took out her thumb with it cutting a Neep. If you've ever cut a turnip, you'll know it's like trying to chop through a log with only your other hand to get extra power.

I found the blade to have a nice square back, so it thrown sparks well from a fire steel.

Now to be fair I've never battoned using this knife. I have an axe for chopping. But 3.5mm full tang is more than capable, if for some reason my axe was at the bottom of a loch.

What I have to say about this knife is that I paid a wee shade over £100 for the knife. Bearing in mind it is made in Europe, with curly birch scales and is a full tang made in good steel, so the price is very fair for what you get.

What I've found in conclusion is that after hours of work, and miles upon miles of blister free shavings, I'm a very happy man. I don't think ill part with this one, it's now my main user.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers bud, always good to have an honest opinion on gear. I have come across the range of knives from The Bushcraft Store (TBS) and wondered what they would be like as a 'stores own' brand.

I don't know why but I recon there's more to this knife. There's design similarities to a maker they feature on TBS, making very high end blades. Don't want to put my neck out and end up with a nose out of joint, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was them.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

For those wanting a linky

http://www.tbsoutdoor.com/home/4579166012

I knew I forgot something, cheers bud
    Border Bushcrafters

Great review thanks.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
    Monk

Not a problem, cheers
    Border Bushcrafters

We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Cheers bud
    Border Bushcrafters

Looks like it got most of what I look for in a knife. If I where to change my main user from the Enzo Trapper it would be for a knife with a longer blade. The Enzo blade is to short...
    Th other fault on my Enzo is that it is not a wery good whitling knife. The handle is terrible, as it is to thin, and not comfortable at all. So I may re-build it on day and replace the scales.
    I solve this by having a Mora 911 in my pack for longer time knife work, while the Enzo as my belt knife just do things like making tent pegs, open packs of sausages and act as a scareper for my fire steel....in fact the former is what I use it the most for...

But if I where to change it It would be for something like that. Thanks for the review.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum