Thread: Options on these small gas stoves

Options on these small gas stoves

Hi out the three what would you go for

If you've used any of them would like to hear your opinion on them and good or bad points

Express stove

Pocket rocket

Vango Compact

All very similar stoves not a lot of difference in them but I just compared the Vango and the pocket rocket

I didn't like the way the vango arms weren't tight and the pocket rocket Arms weren't flat..

Any opinion welcome guys

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'm not much of a fan of the gas stove, have you ever considered using a hexi. I know there is a few reports on the crud left on your pans but a tea bag takes that off. Just putting options out there. I might have an old Camping Gaz number that's a good 15ish years old and works, if I can find it you can have it. Arms are both plat and tight too.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Great nice one

I made a coupe of meths stoves but thought I might be just as quick to have a small gas stove

I've also made a hobo stove out of the jumbo dog food tin so could use this if I don't get a gas stove

All these little stoves are much the same in terms of performance so take your pick. Wilkinson's will have their little gas stove in stock in a few weeks and they are a good solid little stove.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I'll see if it's there like recently moved house so finding it might be the hard bit
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Flying start View Post
    Hi out the three what would you go for

If you've used any of them would like to hear your opinion on them and good or bad points

Express stove

Pocket rocket

Vango Compact

All very similar stoves not a lot of difference in them but I just compared the Vango and the pocket rocket

I didn't like the way the vango arms weren't tight and the pocket rocket Arms weren't flat..

Any opinion welcome guys
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BILD0068.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	11627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BILD0069.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	11628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BILD0072.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	11629£4 off utube

Stoves are alittle like "Horses for courses".I always have a Hexi in the jeep.Its a GOOD standby!!!
    But I like to make,use n test,all sorts of stoves.n use them as the mood takes me.The WILKI stove is great,mine arrived overnite to the store of my choice.!even tho the quote 48hrs.!Best thing about Gas is its instant!
    Have just built a Meths fueld double coil stove!(Very impressed with its performance.Call it my "5minute Stove"Built it in 5mins,on impulse,after I'd eaten the wild boar pate,jar just right size.Tried it out worked great.spent a further 5mins mixing some plumbers epoxy putty to seal!Talk of performance.my 2cup coffee perculator,made in 5minutes.Feeling like a brew now.lol.
    Wood gas burners I think are the best for an overnighter+,especially when run on wooden pellet cat lit.
    You can't beat n open fire (If allowed.)But a hobo or fire dish are a compromise.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown