Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "squeeze" gutting a rabbit?

"squeeze" gutting a rabbit?

just wondering if anyones ever tried this?
    looks like alot less hassel

There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

My Dad had me gut my 1st when I was about 7, cut it open put my hand in to take out the guts and its bladder burst all over my face. I would of left it to go and wash but he made me finnish the job. That vid brought that back to mind, thing is since then Ive always sqeezed a rabbit 1st to make sure its bladder was empty. But Ive never sqeezed to the extent of the vid, seems a bit pointless as you have to skin it anyway
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

If the guts rupture during the squeezing they could taint the flesh, always a slit and draw method for me, like Rasputin I was taught at a very young age, my kids used to watch me take the rabbit's coat off (as they called it) usually with strange screwed up faces...lol
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Moved the thread to 'Hunting' as some of our younger members with weaker dispositions know to stay away from that area. The 'Cooking' area is somewhat too enticing

usually with strange screwed up faces...lol
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

It looks a good way to keep the rabbit clean for putting in back of jeep, until you get home to skin it proper, looks hard work as well, all that squeezing, I do like the other guys and slit, then grab both front and back legs, that when you bend the rabbit belly facing away, proceed to throw it forward, until arms Stretched, then a quick pull back, has all the innards flying out, Done!
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Trapper
    doing it that way is good if you forget your knife, or if theres a lot of flies around on that day, other than that your squeezing hand soon gets tired and achey, and if the guts pop, you wont want to eat the meat
    heres how we do it, and if you look at the time it takes, it must be the easiest,quickest way, we would be doing 60 plus rabbits this way, in next to no time
    when its not being video'd
    one person would make the slit and tear
    the other would flick the guts,

just looking at that first video, approx 45 seconds per rabbit, and it looks like hard work, our way 10 seconds per rabbit, easy peasey, its a no brainer
    Last edited by ratcatcher; 12-02-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Samuel Hearne
    As already said I was also taught at a young age to slit the belly then take the guts out by hand I have never squeezed them out and it takes longer than the way I slit the belly and then flick the guts, I do like the way ratcatcher does it and might try it at some time.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by ian c View Post
    I do like the way ratcatcher does it and might try it at some time.
    that's my old ferreting/shooting mate doing the flicking, Im doing the filming, Im better looking,lol

i allways flick myself just wondered if anyone had tried this at all like it's been said it does look like a bit of effort.... the wife isnt very keen on gutting with her hands so yeah
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.