Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moors Today

Moors Today

Went out and braved Dartmoor today.

I came across this on some gorse. At first I thought it was the yellow flowers blown and stuck on the branch, but on closer inspection, I'm not so sure. It's almost illuminous. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, because of the rain, there are lots of "ponds" on the moor, and these are absolutely teeming with frog spawn. Seemed strange as having spent years on the moor, I have never seen any frogs. Some of it is white, so not going to make it. This seems early compared with last year.

Looks like good old Witches Butter to me
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Not sure but it's very pretty!
    When life gets you down...Hammock!
    It's amazing how far away the world can feel when you're suspended just two foot off the ground!

Thanks Adam. It would appear that it is indeed Witches Butter. A quick check on Wiki would suggest that it is bland but edible. Have you ever tried it? If not for taste, it would certainly add some colour to a foraged salad!

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Good for you getting out today. Rain/hail has been horizontal here. Bottled out..
    Pass on the fungi, lovely colour though. Perhaps froggy is confused by the turmoil in the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWalker View Post
    Thanks Adam. It would appear that it is indeed Witches Butter. A quick check on Wiki would suggest that it is bland but edible. Have you ever tried it? If not for taste, it would certainly add some colour to a foraged salad!
    Never tried eating it myself, as the slimey looks of it don't look incredibly appetising lol. If you've ever eaten Jew's Ear fungi, it would probably feel like that in the mouth.

Also, I'm far from an expert, so it's worth getting one to confirm it is edible first.

I wouldn't eat it without being 100% sure and when I'm out again I will have a better look at it.

The weathers picked up a bit now and wind is howling and the rain is very heavy when it comes. It hasn't been as bad as forecast yet though and certainly not as bad as the storm that took Dawlish out earlier in the week. Tucked up now with a curry and pint of Old Crafty Hen. Nice.

Banned
    Looks more like Dacrymyces palmatus (orange jelly ) to me which is not witches butter but edible anyway no taste really but yes good in a salad as decor

Sorry Adam lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse040 View Post
    Looks more like Dacrymyces palmatus (orange jelly ) to me which is not witches butter but edible anyway no taste really but yes good in a salad as decor

Sorry Adam lol
    See, I knew you'd be along to correct me lol

Banned
    Sorry Adam I know how long you've waited lol