Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Fellowship of the Spey

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Strange you all have different paddles. Do they veri,in paddling styles?
    A brief explanation of the different styles of paddles from left to right;
    The laminated wooden paddle was made by the chap holding it Clive, it is based on a river running paddle, Mine is a Werner Nantahala paddle an all purpose paddle that I use for shallow and white water (its renowned to be a tough paddle as I tend to break them), the long wooden paddle is a deep water/touring paddle, they are a joy to use, Stu's paddle is a hacked up kayak paddle with a T grip, by rights it should be a pig to use, but I have paddled with it and it works.....really well, finally Mikes is a kayak paddle.

There are a plethora of canoe paddle shapes and styles, some are a joy to use in one environment only where as some are suitable for most, a Jack of all Trades so to speak.

A link HERE may explain it better
    I hope this answers your question?

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Quote Originally Posted by saxonaxe View Post
    Thanks for answering the submerged boot question...

A terrific account and great photos of a memorable river trip, and shows (to me anyway) that it's not necessary to fly thousands of miles to foreign lands to find beauty or make interesting journeys.
    You are bang on Saxon Axe, I have spent and thoroughly enjoyed couple of nights paddling on a canal, all possible by canoe and kayak!....I think I'll be able to string a story about that too......

The west coast of Scotland is pretty spectacular too, me n Wifey are off there again in March, hoping for the same weather we had last year....

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Enjoyed every picture and minute of your trip Tim.
    It was starting to become a bit noticeable that despite wet wipes and in-tent washing we were all starting to hum a little.
    Ahh the joy of dry suits, not only do the keep it out they also keep it in lol. Dont know what your going to follow up with Tim but it will have to be good as Ime already suffering withdrawell symtons, thanks for sharing,ATB Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Thanks Tim for the info on paddles!I was up a creek without one.lol.hadn't realized there was so much technical stuff,involved
    Thats opened my eyes n i'm off back to brows that site.the burns n streams I visit in scotland are a little shallow n we pan for gold in them.Each to his own, hey!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown