Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web tex warrior compact stove

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Very similar to these Hi Gear ones

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-...-stove-p261724

I bought ten of them for our Scout group and will be buying a good few more shortly
    Justin it wasn't you I saw in go outdoors last year back in may/June,this guy bought shed loads of stuff 4 trolley fulls tents etc,he had a group of young people with him.a scout leader or youth leader of some sort.
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by swkieran View Post
    Justin it wasn't you I saw in go outdoors last year back in may/June,this guy bought shed loads of stuff 4 trolley fulls tents etc,he had a group of young people with him.a scout leader or youth leader of some sort.

Sounds like me in some ways but not this time. I could quite easily walk into that place and walk out with trolley loads of gear, and it would all be for me

I wouldn't dare take my lot to Go Outdoors, they look at my kit with envious eyes and I would probably end up bankrupting the group by the time I had finished shopping with them. Saying that though, the group is looking at replacing and purchasing a lot of equipment this year as member numbers increase and an Explorer Section for over 14's is started for the first time since the Group started 87 years ago. I get to research and look at lots of lovely shiny stuff and then order it!

Like a big kid in a toy shop.

You and me both Justin I try not to look around to much as I can just spend spend lol ,god on one occasion fishing gear,clothes,camping stuff and bits for my bike the buzz haha,I'm glad the scouts are growing in popularity as it was dying out at one stage when I was a kid back in the 80's early 90's people used to take the Micky out of organisations do you still go on late night walks and visits to local woodland,I remember one night we went out to watcombe with just head torches and a piece of string in case we got lost good times.

Out and about as much as possible, they are so much happier when outside doing things. I initially got involved with the group when asked by a friend to do 'a couple of nights with them' as he heard that I was into all this outdoor stuff. Three years later and I am still there and now leading the Scout Section.

Moorland hikes started last year which are popular with the overnight stops at a campsite that allows fires. During the spring, summer and early autumn months we met every week at a local woodland rather than the hall and just did as much as we could whilst the weather and daylight allowed. If they went home muddy then it was a good night. Unfortunately the logging tracks have now been re-laid through the woods so it looks like those times have gone, trying to find a suitable replacement site is proving extremely difficult to say the least. Night hikes are still a good laugh especially with a leader that is pretty much night blind. Camping with him is hilarious as well, guy lines pinging with a little cursing.

We have struggled and its only really been the last twelve months or so that have seen the numbers improve and new leaders get involved. It is a shame that it couldn't be a job as work and bills dictate the time that can be given to it, but worth the effort anyway.

Sounds very rewarding Justin and I hope you find somewhere suitable,Haldon forest is good but weird goings on up there with doggers and a massive pikey site.i remember when I was 16 doing a princes trust course on dartmoor for a week it was good fun but cold and I mean cold lol it was December,good laugh and got to have a go at kayaking,navigation over believer tour.to many young people stay indoors these days,so scouts and organisations like that are brilliant.and lol @ the blind guy I bet you get some laughs from him.

Glad the scouts are florishing.Your posts have recindled memories.Of my scouting 60 odd yrs ago,(shorts,mountie hats Knifes n a big stick!)and then 30 yrs ago when my lad was in!Li8kewise I got involved,because of my sons boasting that I could light a fire with sparks,n didnt need box of swan vesta.In those day no Ferro-spark sticks.Used to use my flint lock pistol,Flash in the pan.as well as flint n steel.then discovered the big flints welders used for lighting oxi torches.so set these in a piece of wood.(a bit like a pencil lead)and one could get a shower of sparks onto your char cloth.
    Remember we used to cook eggs in an orange skin in the ashes.And scrambled egg in its shell,(which involves shaking spining egg,Vigorously.(sleeve of your jumper,was good for this)but with a dozen scouts trying to scramble their egg in shell,led to some funny events.anyway all eggs that survived the "shaking" were the pierced n placed in ashes.when cooked n opened you have a yellow scrambled egg!Little things!!!!!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown