Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: They walk amongst us...

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I have a set of New Balance trail runners I use when I'm walking the dog but I wouldn't trust them where I camp, it goes from boggy to borderline alpine very quickly. They make great approach shoes though.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

SF troops are wearing civvy lightweight hiking boots and approach shooes on ops in the Afghan mountains...fell runners wear trainers...and there's a famous pic of a Selous Scout in adidas plimsolls during the angolan war.....common denominator hardcore ankles
    [

Maybe I have those hardcore ancles. Never seriously twisted mine. But trainers are a commn sight in the hills up there. And it can be very boggy. But the trails are usually dry, unless it's raining.
    In winter and on rainy days i use my leather boots.

Maybe it's a childhood in wellies that has hardened my ancles :-)
    Thats what everyone was wearing. And the ski boots of my childhood did not support the ancles at all, not to mention my skates. Actually the first time I ever wore boots that supported my ancles where in the army...

My reason for wearing boots have more to do with keeping feet warm and dry than with support...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I remember my wellie wearing days well, awful things but don't half keep the slurry off your feet. It always cracks me up when I see a thread what's the best wellie boots, answer is none varying prices equal level of crap performance lol. But back on topic if man had went barefoot for millennia, we don't actually need shoes, but it's a matter of sensibility if your going out to carry some basic supplies at least just incase.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

The only time I wear a pair of wellies these days is to get in and out of my boat with feet dry...
    Well...that also over as they now have a leak...and *I ain't buying a new pair.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Tramp
    Hey Midge, beleive it or not a few years ago I was watching a TV program about the Lake District and on camera a couple came across striding edge in windy wet weather, wearing trainers, shorts and tshirts and, and yes you've got it, the good old carrier bag. There was a guy from mountain rescue talking to the camera, he glanced over and saw them and with a look of horror ran over to them and went absolutely barmy. When he came back to the camera he explain how these people had come right across striding edge and they just could not see what was his problem. At that time I had only been to the Lake District once myself and so was very new to that sort of terrain, even so was aware what to be wearing.
    I was in front of the telly going absolutly mad, they make me seeth. AAAAAARRRRRHHHHH!!!
    Cheers buddy
    Simon

Here in troms County the avalanche danger level is now at level 4. The second highest (There are 5 levels).
    Yet so far this weekend we have 1 killed and several missing in avalanches, because idiots keep going up in the hills where the danger is highest.
    This while the media is screaming about the conditions out there. We have had two polar depression storms in one week, heavy rain and sleet, combined with the start of the snow melt...
    You breath loudly out there, it will set one off...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by simonc View Post
    Hey Midge, beleive it or not a few years ago I was watching a TV program about the Lake District and on camera a couple came across striding edge in windy wet weather, wearing trainers, shorts and tshirts and, and yes you've got it, the good old carrier bag. There was a guy from mountain rescue talking to the camera, he glanced over and saw them and with a look of horror ran over to them and went absolutely barmy. When he came back to the camera he explain how these people had come right across striding edge and they just could not see what was his problem. At that time I had only been to the Lake District once myself and so was very new to that sort of terrain, even so was aware what to be wearing.
    I was in front of the telly going absolutly mad, they make me seeth. AAAAAARRRRRHHHHH!!!
    Cheers buddy
    Simon
    The best of it is that ridge has claimed lives of some of the best out there. The lakes just last winter alone killed at least 5 people.
    Border Bushcrafters

This is the breach edge of an avalanche set off today by experts here in Troms county. Imagine the weight of that coming down. The breach was 4 meters high in some places...

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...73714220_o.jpg
    (Roald Amundsen)

Aye the chances of surviving an avalanche are slim to none, I still remember Glen Coe last year. 5 experienced mountaineers killed by an avalanche up there. It's not as common here but still possible. Although this year was unseasonably mild on average we are getting far colder, snowier winters, this just puts the chances up.
    Border Bushcrafters