Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: They walk amongst us...

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    See it makes you wonder whether or not it's tv in a lot of cases. How many times have you turned on the idiot box and seen some guy wearing a pair of trail runners tackling the wilderness. To us they are purpose designed, to John Smith they just look like a pair of trainers............. So off he trots in a pair of cream cargo shorts, silly white trainer socks and a pair of circa 1992 arrow squash shoes. Don't get me wrong I use some old gutties as driving shoes but they never see the rough stuff. Possibly the Gravel in the car park before the boots come out the boot....... Oh and for when I can't be bothered lacing up my boots if I need a leak in the night.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    They walk amongst us...

Since the beginning of mankind they have and almost certainly will continue to do so.

Accept it.

Just make sure you minimise the chances of joining their ranks by combining your skills set with common sense. Think about the needs of the group, and base the adventure on those of the least skilled/able members capabilities.

Knowing when not to go, when to turn back/ dig in for the duration or to ask for help before a situation gets too bad is not "failure", it is to live to try again and to succeed at that time.
    Personal ego must be your last thought, 'cos it might be the last.
    Don't make your own thoughtlessness put others at risk, family, friends or rescue personnel.

Rob.
    Brilliant; just absolutely perfect. Well put Rob.

Sits and waits for the customary...'Make them pay for the cost of the rescue..blah,blah...tax payers nmoney, blah, blah, blah'. Sigh
    [

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    When I worked in Crete, we used to get people turning up to walk the Samaria Gorge (approx 18kms of very hard going) in trainers, flip-flops and the best was white high heels
    The Germans, Bless their little cotton socks, would have boots, rucksacks and lots of "sensible things like water, full med kit etc
    The Brits would usually have a Sainsburys carrier bag with some lager, crisps and some cigs in it
    Ah yes, know it well, I must have looked very Germanic.

Cheers Bernie.

Sapper:- no one is going to be that silly, are they?

Rob.
    Last edited by Fraxinus; 13-03-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Rob...yup !
    [

I was once descending Snowdon heading back to the Llanberis Pass. The weather wasn't great and on the way up I had encountered lady with push chair that perhaps would have been better on an alternative route - anyway I digress.

A chap asked me "What's it like up the top?". I explained that I didn't think it was very nice and was borderline dangerous since it [the weather] was getting worse. He thanked me and I carried on my way down. Twenty minutes later he caught me up (I had also been to the top of Ben Nevis and Scafel Pike previously so my legs weren't at their best). He said that he had gone further and thought about what I had said. Since he'd been to the top many times before he decided that he would abandon his summit attempt and would enjoy it another time on a nicer day. Sensible chap.

Not everyone is a turnip but, there are indeed plenty that walk among us. Rob quite rightly refers to "common sense". I'm led to believe that it is called that since the "common" bit means it can be applied everywhere but unfortunately that's not always the case.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Aye often I've decided that a bar lunch is better than possible hypothermia in the fells when I go to the lakes. If only many other people had that idea a lot of people would be alive now. I think sometimes an element of bravado is around, some think that the experienced will shun them for not making it. As we all know actually experience tells us that not doing it is the sometimes best decision. I've helped many people as I'm a first aider, no level of experience can stop some accidents, but there's no excuses for being ill equipped and I'll informed.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

I am up in the hills all the time wearing sneakers. It's all depending on what weather I am expecting... and time of year of course.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Depend a lot on the trainers though, are we talking trail runners or are we talking a pair of converse all stars here
    Border Bushcrafters

They are what I would refer to as "jogging shoes" when i grew up...
    Admittedly they do have a membrane...but that is only because they where on sale the day I needed a new pair of "jogging shoes"
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum