Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadair Idriss - Snowdonia October 2011

Cadair Idriss - Snowdonia October 2011

I am planning a trip to South Snowdonia in October with the Family. We are staying Near Cadair Idriss and I would very much like to walk the route to the summit. Although confident in my own and my partners ability to walk this, my mountain walking is limited and I will have my 2 sons (9 and 12) with me. They are experienced hikers but can anyone tell me whether this time of year might be a little too risky for them?

Tribal Elder
    Looks nice! Never done the walk myself but it is rated at hard... if its a hard walk and bad weather then dont go... check the met office right up until the last minute. Looks like a damn steep climb!

I hiked to the top in 2008 with 3 children and i suffer with severe Arthritis at the end of september. Take the Llamberis Path its the most spectacular for photo's of the paths. The car park is across the road from the start. The Start is up the lane next to the info centre and railway. It starts steep then levels out to a nice walk. Stop half way up at the cafe and have a cuppa and a breather. Then up to the top, make sure you have warm coats with you. It maybe nice and sunny when you start but it is cold at the top. They were starting to build the new visiters centre at the top when we went, it should be finished by now. I plan to have another go this year or next but i am going to do the Ranger Path so I can see the Lakes. Rhyd-Ddu Path is the easiest and the quickest. I would watch the weather forcast and decide then. We waited 3 days before we decided to go and we had a lovely day out. 3hrs walk up and 3 1/2 hrs walk down well worth the pain. Good Luck and don't forget your camera lol

Check the weather and if you are fairly experienced you may be ok. There shouldn't be any snow on top that early (although you never know). Allow plenty of time so that you can take plenty of breaks, and it isn't terribly strenuous if you are all fairly fit and used to walking. Wind speeds can be much higher and temperatures a lot lower on the summit than at the bottom so make sure you are equipped for this. I've known of a few people taking the wrong direction off of the summit after a lunch stop if it is misty (including instructors with groups) so it is worth checking a compass bearing before you start off again. It isn't particularly technically difficult, no nasty rocky sections that you can't go round and no knife edge ridges.
    When are you coming? If I'm free I'd be happy to do it with you if you wanted.

IBrown I think you are talking about Snowdon (or Yr Wyddfa in welsh) rather than Cadair Idris which is over an hours drive to the south. A really nice day out on Snowdon if you are up to it, is the full horseshoe starting and finishing at Pen y Pass. Take either the PYG track or Crib Goch (depending on ability) on the way up, then drop down from the summit and go up over Y Lliwedd and drop down to the lakes and back along the track to the car. There is a bit of scrambling over Lliwedd but not too technical. It is a fairly tiring day though.

THanks Chris.. Sorry to be confusing, I blame the pills. Or it could be old age lol..

Chrisj. I am going up october half term and staying at Arthog. I may well take you up on your offer I will pm you nearer the time. I was hoping to have completed my Mountain Leaders course with the scouts but work commitments put pay to that for another year. I ahve never visited Snowdonia and we are looking forward to it. Seems there is plenty of enjoyment to be had wothout spending vast amounts of money. Any other suggestions of nice gentle family walks in the area?

I'm sure I can think I can think of quite a few. I'm putting the kids to bed now so I'll have a think and let you know.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I hope to be going up Snowdon at the end of May, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland. The plan is to get them all done in a week which should be quite pleasant and not tooooo tiring.

I'll let you know how we get on and hopefully get plenty of pic's on the forum.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I hiked Cadair Idriss on my Mountain leaders course many moons ago, terrible visibility near the top met a few folk going the wrong way. We camped at the bottom for one night half the group had their tents flattened by the overnight storms, you cant beat a bit of Welsh weather to test your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I hope to be going up Snowdon at the end of May, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland. The plan is to get them all done in a week which should be quite pleasant and not tooooo tiring.

I'll let you know how we get on and hopefully get plenty of pic's on the forum.

Martin
    Good luck with that Martin, are you doing it for fun or charity?