Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going for a little bimble

Came across this

Which lead to this

It's rather wet out there and I disturbed about 10 folks with shotguns blasting the pheasants!

It looks a lovely spot but the bay has been pretty beaten up. Finding a suitable spot for ground dwelling is the hardest part due to the wet stuff but I'm sure we will be fine. Wood will also be an issue so make sure a stove is packed for your food.

Saturday looks pretty good, it is Sunday that looks bad. Not bothered though, just adds to the fun! Thinking of meeting in Clovelly Estate car park about 10 if that's ok. Not sure what's happening with Glen though, can make it a bit later if needs be as time isn't an issue with only a short walk.

I will be the bloke in the really camouflaged white van that looks like a pile of mud!

Oh, and don't forget a little drink for the evening...

Have fun but be careful the weather's not looking great. Take loads of pictures.

Hi Guys, I'm gonna have to cry off I'm afraid, shame as your pictures look great.
    Have a good one, be mindful of the wind and I'll see you Jus at JP's on the 8th.

Glen
    "Appearance is Important, so remember to Smile"

Nelson Mandela

Trapper
    Jus do you have a map image or postcode for the car park? See you there!
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

EX39 5TA is the postcode. My Internet has gone down now so I can't do much other than what my phone will allow.

Trapper
    Looking forward to it!

Internets back!. Glad you got the post, just popping into Tesco then on my way

Trapper
    Righto, I may be a little late, overlooked a few packing issues!

Well it did end up a little wet and windy!

Learnt a few things this weekend -

1) Ferrell Freddy, despite his name, is a very nice chap. Cheers Steve, nice little wander and good to meet you. Hope all goes well in your new posting and will catch up soon no doubt.

2) Careful when testing if the hammock is secure as you may well end up on your backside

3) When checking places out for a stealth camp, do bear in mind that you may get a group of people in very expensive 4x4's driving around through the woods blasting the living daylights out of pheasants.

4) Using a NeoAir sleep mat in the hammock does not work well when using a Snugpak top quilt. You WILL get cold spots down your sides, end up with an unstable hammock and wake up laying in a pool of water where your breath condenses on the inside of the hammock.

5) DD 3x3 tarps are just the best for providing a good sleeping area as well as somewhere to cook under when its tipping in down with rain. I knew this before but it was nice to be reassured that my choice was a good one.

6) Trying to be clever by wearing your snow boots knowing what weather is coming is always doomed to fail. Expect to finish your walk with various sized blisters all over you feet.

7) Vesta Beef Risotto is never as tasty as you once remembered.

Trapper
    8) As I thought Hennessy Hammocks tarp is not big enough for all the above! Though it does bead well and the asymmetric shape works well with the water catcher!

9) A momentary lapse of concentration almost put an end to the whole night! Sheath knife before snapping wood over knee!

10) My first aid kit although sufficient could do with beefing up.

11) Travel lighter, I'm not at work, there will be no kit inspection, take only what you need, find/construct the rest..

All in all a cold, wet but enjoyable jaunt!