Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned Horse Drawn Journey, Hampshire to The Hebrides

Hobo
    Thanks Tim, I am already a member and had thought I might check them out. I agree that they are a very likely host providing I can turn up looking reasonably clean!!
    Last time I went camping with a horse, a riding school charged me £25 for a stable for one night and £10 for my tent!!!
    The actual route is giving me the biggest headache. I can see myself doing 1000 miles to go the 440 as the crow flies miles. The pony will drive through a town without a problem but I want to stay as remote as possible. Last year I tried getting a horse on the Offas Dyke path, which being an ancient way, you would assume was possible, but it is a footpath only. It can get a bit sticky with a horse and cart if you reach a dead end cart track after several miles on it. I sometimes think it is better not to plan things. I am a doer rather than a planner!

Penny

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Penny.. Check these sites.. http://www.trailwise.org.uk/ http://www.way-finder.org.uk/
    Good luck with the trip, it sounds fab :0)

A warm welcome from North Wales
    ATB Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Tribal Elder
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Hi Penny,May I wish you all the best on your epic journey!!and that you safely manage to negociate all those miles,Have you made any plans in case your horse throws a shoe??????Though many farrowers are mobile now,I don't know if there is a directory???best wishes.mike.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Hobo
    I will do thanks. I have been using the hug maps to try and sort my route, but I am very undecided which way to go. I like scenic obviously, but I also have to think of the pony and time. I like the idea of cutting diagonally across country to Tewkesbury then up through Shropshire.

Hobo
    Hi Midas, Certainly I am going to need shoes replaced en route. I am probably going to delay until April or even may for better weather now. The pony going lame is a major concern, sometimes you can just go on for a while to get to safety, other times you just can't go anywhere, but I will try and get a list of riding schools etc along the way and ask if I run into a problem in their area if they can rescue me. I am actually getting more and more excited about the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Hi Midas, Certainly I am going to need shoes replaced en route. I am probably going to delay until April or even may for better weather now. The pony going lame is a major concern, sometimes you can just go on for a while to get to safety, other times you just can't go anywhere, but I will try and get a list of riding schools etc along the way and ask if I run into a problem in their area if they can rescue me. I am actually getting more and more excited about the whole thing
    Hi again Penny,Might be an idea if you have a good Farrier before you set off,to get him to make/adjust a couple of sets of spares.That would help speed things up,if the one you have to call on,on route doesn't carry that size????etc!
    April seems a better time no snow n ice,Hopefully just "april showers."How about writing a book on your epic journey.you never know !could become a best seller!"!Best Wishes.Mike.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Hobo
    This is my pony being trained. He was a gypsy trotter. This is the guy advising me
    Penny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdC9a-Gpm0E

Hobo