Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned Horse Drawn Journey, Hampshire to The Hebrides

Hobo

Planned Horse Drawn Journey, Hampshire to The Hebrides

Hi I am Penny, new here and searching for help / info / friends. In March I am driving my pony from Andover in Hampshire to the island of Islay in the Hebrides where I now live. It seemed more fun than putting him in a lorry. I am looking for info on green lanes and byways. My route is more or less a direct line from Andover to Newent in Glos, then up through Shropshire. I will probably then take a line toward Preston, Settle, Kendal and Carlisle, then Glasgow and unfortunately then main road all the was to Islay.
    Any ideas, or offers of an overnight camping spot with a place to tether the pony will be very welcome, as will knowledge of any parts of the route. I would quite like help and company if there are any like minds out there. I am a 64 year old female. I am very much looking forward to the trip.

Welcome to the forum Penny. There are a few members that are based along your route that I am sure can come up with some suggestions.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Hello and welcome, Penny

Hobo
    Thank you Saxonaxe, I am already finding map sites mentioned here, such a lot of planning!

Hobo
    That would be good! I keep changing the route but straight as the crow flies is about 440 miles, so probably double it! It should take me 3 or 4 weeks I reckon.

On long trips, one of the most difficult things is finding water.
    I use graveyards when "wildcamping" as they always seem to have a tap
    Good luck
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Hello and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hobo
    I wildcamped in my motorhome all over Europe for several years and I agree that water is a problem. I had more of a problem out camping with a horse as these days they extract so much water from our waterways that many streams have just dried up. Water will be my biggest problem. I bet March will just bucket down and keeping dry will become the priority! I made sure the tent goes up outer before the inner!

Hobo
    Thanks

Welcome Penny, And hats off to you, what an adventure.
    Why not try some riding schools en-route? If they can't help, they may know someone who can.
    Also as a thought, would it be worth joining the Camping and Caravaning Club, a lot of farms have small campsites called Certificated Site's (CS). A small campsite that accepts just five caravans or motorhomes. Some of these CS’s accept tents, space permitting. CSs are often quieter, smaller places to camp, with many offering minimal facilities – ideal for when you want to get away from it all.Its just a thought and some of them they might be sympathetic to your needs.

They do have a campsite finder here that might give you an idea of what they offer.

Keep us posted.

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."