Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is walking 25 miles across the peak district in 1 day realistic?

Yeah I'd say easy doable. I made it round the yorkshire 3 peak challenge in under 10 carrying 35lb for charity last year.

Average person may well struggle walking 25 miles on a flat surface IMHO; ten or fifteen is doable but up in the peak district, Brecon Beacons etc and many would struggle even with a very light load to cover that. I've covered 20-25 miles in a day hauling @20kg but that was several decades ago when I was young and fit lol.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Local MRT runs a challenge event every year...most make the 16 mile big course with lots of time to spare, the original route was 25 miles, a lot failed to finish that one but they did only have 12 hours to do it in
    [

I think they'd have to be pretty much fell running to do that time and distance over the moors (and not taking in the views!). They may do it on tarmac, but they'd be at it from dawn to dusk, in summer and limping from the blisters after about mile 15.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    I think they'd have to be pretty much fell running to do that time and distance over the moors (and not taking in the views!). They may do it on tarmac, but they'd be at it from dawn to dusk, in summer and limping from the blisters after about mile 15.
    They do it every year...first finishers coming in at the 3/4 hour mark (fell runners) but most folks coming in at 1500 hrs after a 0800 start....member of this forum did it with his daughter...who was 11 at the time...the youngest finisher was 8 thats for the slimmed down 16 mile route - and they must have a minimum kit carry or they arent allowed to enter the high moorland route
    [

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Simple maths says 40km at 4km/hour equals 10 hours. Allow ten mins per hour for breaks and you come up with just under 12 hours to do 25 miles. For an experienced walker with decent weather conditions it's not going to be a problem.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I'd say it was doable for a fit person, but you wouldn't have time to take in the surroundings, and it won't be enjoyable. If you're on your own it will be 10 times harder too. It's always easier (and a lot safer) to have someone else there.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

IMHO, Like everything, it's just not as simple as saying yes it's can be done, and no it can't be done.
    There are spectrum's of capability and environment variables to consider.
    From the clinically obese to a special forces member. From a pleasant partly cloudy day, to driven rain, wind and fog.

I think most will know where they are in the 'capability spectrum', and most would give thought the 'environment variables'. (I say most)
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Good old Naismith..... Tranter was a bit more on the ball though...Incidentally 25 miles on the map of the dark peak has a habit of turning into 30 on the ground particularly off path when circumnavigating the bogs and going up and down the groughs
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    It's possible but be realistic, there's no shame in doing it in a couple of stretches.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk