Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag question /s

Sleeping bag question /s

Hi all, I'm looking for a sleeping bag, lightweight and small pack size, Snugpak fits the bill but............................. can somebody shed some light on the pricing / rating of the bags, for example.

Snugpak hawk softie 9 £99.95

Weight: 1500 grams
    Packsize: 19x21cm (fully compressed)
    Temp: Comfort -5c Low -10c

Snugpak sleeper extreme £42.95

Weight: 2100g
    Packsize: 28x26cm (Fully Compressed)
    Temp: Comfort -7c Low -12c

Now at £57 pounds difference, is the extra couple of deegres /weight / pack size going to be worth spending the extra money, what are others views and or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    When you're cold at night, the extra £42.95 won't matter a jot. Also, 600g is a lot of weight when you're trying to shave grams off your pack weight. For my money, it's worth the difference. Even worth more if you can afford a decent down filled bag.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Extra weight = cheaper price and an extra couple of degrees, I am looking at a few down bags at the moment, used but in good condition, just waiting on some more details and still keeping my options open.

Thanks, all input gratefully taken on board.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    For what it's worth. Unless you are going to get a lot (read frequent) use out of a really expensive bag, you might consider a cheaper rated bag and a decent liner. I've got an artic bag but the few times I use it make me glad I didn't have to buy it.. My -5 rated bag + a liner gets very frequent use, Spring and Autumn without the liner and the few times it gets really cold here in the South I stick a liner in the bag.
    Having said that, if you're having to carry kit a long way or going somewhere white and icy then I agree with Martin, worth the extra money any day.

Thanks, I would like the down bag for sure, as I said, just waiting on some feedback from sellers, all good points, thanks so far.

If you have no objection to down bags, I highly recommend Rab. Both lightweight and compact as well as very warm.

I use a corinthia defence 4, does all I want and I just love the central zip, but it's personal choice and bank balance
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

OK, it's looking like a toss up between a Rab ladakh 600 and a Snugpak hawk softie 9. What are your thoughts / views please.

Thanks in advance

I've got the North Face Cats Meow for winter, used it down to -7, slept in boxers and was toasty. I use a mammut for the spring/summer, got it from gooutdoors for about £30. Rab do a silk liner for about £25ish, which will give you an extra couple of degrees (and keeps your bag clean).

A little advice. Down bags are great. Light and warm, but useless when wet, so if you go for a down bag, make sure you use a bivvi bag or a good enclosed setup )such as a lightweight tent) for the wetter months.
    Synthetic bags are cheaper, but do weigh more temp for temp. The advantage of synthetic is, they usually retain 80% efficiency when wet, they are often more robust, and they are a lot easier/cheaper to clean.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel