Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new axe handle

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Grand job there, as long as it works for you then all is great.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Wanderer
    The wedge in the business end is particularly well done, i have handled 4 now and i ALWAYS make a hash of the finish up there
    6 P's

Proper Planning Prevents Particularly Poor Performance

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    If it looks right and fits your hand right - it must be right. Nice job

If it's cutting the handle off above the head that's the problem, I use a Japanese fret saw. It's got a stiff brass back. It trims well without tearing the grain.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

dont worry i made loads of mistakes and just kept changing the handle till i got to a standard i was happy with....and then swapped it for a sfa lol

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    dont worry i made loads of mistakes and just kept changing the handle till i got to a standard i was happy with....and then swapped it for a sfa lol
    I just kept restoring axes until I could get it right. Restoring teaches you so much, even now after restoring a fair few of them I still end up scratching my head at times. Plus with different axes, you then have to learn what handle style works for that head ect.
    Border Bushcrafters

Good lookin handle.
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and