Thread: Anybody Fished The Exeter Canal.

Anybody Fished The Exeter Canal.

A mate and I was looking at fishing the Exeter Canal for Pike and Perch. Wondered if any members had ever fished it. I did hear that you can day ticket it or pay and yearly membership.

Yes I've fished it ,not for a while thou,some decent size pike down nr the double locks,good camping ground aswell lol,hit it at dawn or dusk with surface poppers and watch those hungry pike attack .also further down nr the bridge for pike,perch further up haven banks anytime of the day between the 2 bridges but be wary of the swans with youre bait.hope this helps .
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

The pike are very good fun on a light rod lol,it's a real fight when they dive ,reminds me of the time I was fishing berry head and I hooked a angler fish the battle I had with that fella hahahaaaa I got him 50 yards from the ledge and he surfaced I screamed at my mate Adam get the landing net get the landing net,but sadly after a another fight the line snapped and he disappeard into the depths of berry head,but boy did he slam the rod lol,it was bass style hit but only more violent.

Thanks for the info swkieran, its appreciated.

On the parts of the river that you have mentioned, is it controlled by the Exeter AA. I know that certain parts can be fished using a normal rod license but others are not.

I see that you have camped it as well. Are there many areas that you can hang a hammock or is it really just ground dwelling.

Thanks again

Neil

The bottom end is not controlled by the aa,further up is I think it may have changed,yes in the grounds of the double locks pub there are plenty of trees for a hammock,as long as youre quiet and pack away early,and set up after they close,I can't see them bothering you chubbs,there's plenty of places to put up a small tent along the banks of the canal.the river dart is also a very good river to fish because anything from the wier in totnes downwards is classed as tidal and you can fish with no restrictions ,any thing further up is classed as freshwater.summer that's just gone I caught a whopper of a sea trout on the dart,and it's one of my favourite places to fish,the trout went back t fight another day ,I think there protected anyway,I keep the od bass and mackerel but the majority of my catch goes back.
    Last edited by swkieran; 04-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.