Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: milbank or hand pump filter

Question milbank or hand pump filter

Hi Bushmates,

Could we discuss the pro's & con's between a Milbank bag and a hand held filter?

I know that water must still be boiled after filtration but which is better?

The bag is obviously simple in functionality and that there are no moving parts to fail; also the bag appears to be cheaper.

Are there situations where one is superior over against the other?

Thanks gang for letting me pick your brain,

Sartacus

This is a topic that comes up every now and again, and to be honest the opinions always vary. Have a look on here and you will get an idea of the kind of responses you will get

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...earchid=794679

Personally I have done away with high tech devices now, too prone to breaking, and now use a Milbank bag followed by a few drops of Aqua Sol.

Watch out for fake Milbank bags aswell. There are quite a few replicas out there that do not use the correct military grade canvas, they are just a load of rubbish. There is now a firm making new ones but at over £20 I would rather get an old surplus one at about £8
    Last edited by jus_young; 05-01-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sartacus View Post
    The bag is obviously simple in functionality and that there are no moving parts to fail; also the bag appears to be cheaper.
    Exactly.
    You've answered the question for yourself.

As you highlight in your post, though, you'll still need to boil it to kill off germs. But neither filtration nor boiling will cancel out any chemicals. If you're here in the UK then that's the biggest problem you will be up against when it comes to using natural water sources - a lot of chemical run-off from farmland; either the fertilisers for agriculture or the additives put in animal feed being 'dumped' on the ground, and then both concentrating in water sources.
    There are, of course, many places in the UK where this won't be a concern, but these will be very remote places, and most of the places where most of us go will have chemically polluted water.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Something I posted some time ago on another thread -

For those new to the water collection and treatment scenario, always remember that there are two different stages to making water suitable to drink, one is filtration and the other is purification.

Filtration takes out particulate matter, for example leaves or fine grit. This can be done a number of different ways including the DIY plastic bottle stuffed with grass, sand and some charcoal from the fire. The process may also take out larger bacteria and pathogens but this is not guaranteed. The high tech filters that are now commercially available are just filters with the difference being that they are so fine that bacteria are also removed but not killed in the process unless something specific is contained within the filters construction to facilitate this. The drawback being with these can be a reduced flow due to the fine nature of the filtration media.

Purification is the process of killing the bugs, viruses and other harmful nasties. Again there are a number of options available, the application of various chemicals or UV just being two, but its the nasties that we cannot see that make us ill so these must be dealt with.

Something else to consider if you regularly drink from natural sources is the possibility that harmful metals may also be present but suitable filtration can remove these also. Charcoal is commonly used to take out odour and taste from water rather than aid in the filtration or purification process. Whatever methods you choose to use, just make sure that you choose your water source carefully and any sign of illness in the following days is checked out as some of those bugs can be quite serious!

Quality advice, thanks dudes,

Jus - I tried the link you posted but it had no content.

Humakt - interesting blog, I will spend time looking. I also subscribed to your YouTube channel.

Respect...

Quote Originally Posted by sartacus View Post
    Jus - I tried the link you posted but it had no content.
    Odd

Try it again, it comes up when I click on it but I have refreshed the link anyhow.

It keeps saying

"no matches found"

?

Search box on the top right, enter 'water filter' and the results will give you numerous threads. Seems that a search is only valid for a short time and won't post as a valid link for other folks to see!

Bit late to the party here, but I'd go with Milbank bag.
    As Jus points out, water needs to be filtered, then purified. If the water looks clear (i.e. no dirt, debris, small insects, etc.), then there is little point in filtering it anyway. Boiling water for 1 minute, on a rolling boil, will kill all pathogenic/parasitic/bacterial contaminants you will find in UK water. Chemical purification of some kind will be needed for chemical pollution, and heavy metals, etc.
    Also as Jus says, check the source of the water. This can be as easy as knowing the history of the area, or looking around the vicinity. For example, if there has been mining in the area, it could have heavy metal content, or even other nasties associated with particular mining processes. If there is heavy agriculture in the area, pesticides and insecticides could be present.
    Places like Dartmoor will generally be free from chemicals, or heavy metals, but will contain pathogens and bacteria if animals cross it, or die in/near it. In this kind of situation, if the water is visibly clear (a little brown tint is ok, as it's probably from the peaty soil), then you should be safe to just boil it, or drop a steritab into it.
    Water from ponds, lakes, woodland streams, etc, will probably be cloudy with soil/silt/decaying matter (leaves/branches/plants), so filtering is necessary to remove the turbidity before boiling/steritabbing.

Hope that helps a little in your decision making
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I won't try to point you in either direction, but will add some of my experiences with water purifiers so here is some food for thought....

Many moons ago I had a gravity filter made by Pre-Mac and over the following years used it a fair amount, with no tummy troubles at all, taking water from streams and lakes all over Snowdonia, make of that what you will. Pre-mac make a smaller one that would be ideal for occasional use HERE

Once I could escape from campsites with taps again I chanced upon a Katadyn Combi for sale at a decent price, used it on a few rivers for coffee's and the odd slurp, now I am able to escape up north for a week at a time, wild camping by some body of water or another.
    It is used more and more, (I even use it when wild-camper-vanning too when away from taps)

In 2012 we camped up by Loch Shiel where the water is crystal clear and Loch Lomond where it is nearly as clear and this is what happened to the ceramic filter....

Before cleaning...

And after cleaning...

Now in 2013 we paddled down the Spey, which had a fine no a very fine sediment which blocked up the filter very damn quick! resulting in the need to cleanse the ceramic filter every five minuets or so of pumping water through it.

This got me thinking about a Millbank bag as a "pre-filter" for my Katadyn?
    But I guess this does depend on how fine the canvas material filters the water!

Another of the party had one of those UV purifiers.......that threw a wobbley and didn't work at all.

So in the end we boiled water for hot drinks (we guessed a "double boil" was more than safe) and had the time consuming filtered water for cold drinks.
    -None I might add went into the whisky-

I hope this helps?

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."