Thread: Jews ears , advice please

Jews ears , advice please

Hi all , does anyone have any ideas/recipes for jews ears ? as i've just started a new job on a campsite with a small woodland around the perimeter and this fungus is plentiful at the mo . Any ideas gratefully recieved . Thanks .

Would'ant bother it's like eating brown wet soggy paper.

Ok , thanks mate . i'll leave well alone . There were loads of 'shrooms about when i got here in nov' but i did'nt know what i was looking at then . Turns out there were Boletes ,Saffron milk caps (i think,very similar if not) blewits , ink caps and a huge amount of either horse or field mushrooms (didnt have any reference at the time i found them) velvet shanks now and what i believe to be a grey oysters on the log pile . Typically we'll not be here long so not see em next season. only going on book references for i.d i could be mistaken on some . also many small specimins in the grass i couldn't i.d. Seems a pity no one takes advantage of these,but i guess alot of us are spooked by 'em ! i know i am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Would'ant bother it's like eating brown wet soggy paper.
    How have you had them? I have eaten loads of Jews Ears over the years and have always found them very tasty. You can eat them straight off the tree which is a strange texture but they have a unique taste raw. Best cooked in a game stew I find, pigeon or rabbit is complimented well by them. Cut them into strips and look out for a burst of flavour when your eating the stew. For me these are one of the best foods you can add into your meal, try putting a few in your frying pan with any meat, I am sure you won't be disappointed!

the little ones in the grass sound intresting! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

I keep meaning to try Jew's Ear myself.

A common use is to let them dry out, crush them, and use them as a thickener in stews.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I hear ya !

Found these a few months back, presume these are Jews Ears also?

Hope so , they look look the same as i've got here mate . nice pic .