Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a warning about widow makers

I live in an apartment in a HEAVILY wooded area. About 6 weeks ago a wind storm came through and broke a large (6" - 8" diameter branch) from the top of a Maple tree and it fell into the other branches but has worked it way out and is now balanced precariously on the end of two live branches. Trouble is it's in an area where people walk as a short cut.

I've warned the managers about it but they don't think it's a big deal, just another branch. Yeah a branch that I call a "widow maker" but on one else sees the threat. Now I always look up when I go into the woods

People don't think about until it happens, unfortunately. About a decade ago I attended a military concert at some high school's sports field, and there was a large Sugar Maple which had a sizable dead branch about 12m up, under which some thoughtless attendees sat down, seemingly oblivious to the precarious position they were in. Well, about 15 minutes into the concert, we all heard a loud "snap", and the branch fell almost on three persons, who just managed to get out of the way upon hearing the crack and looking up. No one was hurt, but the whole ordeal could've been avoided if they simply looked up BEFORE the branch came down, and moved to a safer location.
    *sigh* Some people don't learn until it's too late...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin