Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dartmoor in January 2011 (+pics)

Dartmoor in January 2011 (+pics)

At the weekend myself and several others from the forum arranged to go up to Dartmoor to spend a weekend in a private woodland with permission from forum member Ivan. It was my first time on Dartmoor and we were expecting minus temperatures so I scrambled around like an idiot asking people questions about kit and generally being disorganised. I eventually decided on taking my hammock and tarp and plenty of layers!

Day 1
    We met up bright and early in the Plume of Feathers in Princetown for a mug of tea and a decent fried brekkie, arriving at half eight (well most of us Raven) and then went in a convoy down to the mystery location near West Buckfastleigh, after some surprisingly adept map reading we all arrived in one piece. Ivan & Ed (Entbane) took us on a quick tour after introductions. Well what can I say? It's a lovely location, access straight onto Dartmoor, a clean stream running through, decent mix of woodland and open areas, beautiful spot. All was going well, it was even dry though the skies were a bit grey and mighty cold!

After setting up camp we split into two groups; one planning to hang back on Ivan's land getting up to some bushcraft shenanigans I guess, but I don't really know what they did because Martin and me decided to be brave and venture out onto the open moor for a stroll. Martin was kind enough to teach me some navigation techniques and we had a decent stroll of about 6-7km (correct me there if I'm wrong Martin), diving into some tin workings out of the wind for a spot of lunch.

It was a tad cold up there with plenty of frozen moorland, and even the tubes from our water pouches had the nerve to freeze up. We were met by this dodgy looking bunch on our return.

A great evening followed, campfire, good banter, decent food and general merriment. A few bits of carving, thanks for the teaspoon Ashley! Ed made some pine resin candles which were pretty nifty. The food was particularly impressive, special mention goes to Matt for his seemingly endless supply of delicacies (including an entire saffron loaf and clotted cream) and Ivan & Ed for their generous and much appreciated hunk of Lamb (cooked in a pit with hot stones) and veg casserole. Unfortunately I forgot an integral part of my tripod so once dark set in I was unable to take any decent photos!

The night was very cold, dropping down to about -5, and I think I was pushing the limits of my kit (dd hammock + tarp, foam roll mat & thermarest!) but I managed to get some shut-eye. I was envious of Ashleys hammock cacoon though, and intend to try and make one soon.

Day 2
    We all awoke to find sunlight streaming through the trees, transforming the woodland in the way that only a decent sunrise can.

The embers were poked and a fire brought to life for brews and sausages as everyone tried to warm up. I attempted to take some photos but had no time for settings and adjustments while the camera was trying to freeze my hands! Paul Webster came along on the Sunday to check out the site, meet everyone and have brekkie.

A top weekend was had by all.

Thanks to:

Ivan & Ed for the use of the land, and for going beyond the call of duty by having a fire going when we got there with plenty of spare firewood piled high, unexpectedly feeding us, providing beers and being very welcoming. Oh yeah and Ed for being the friendly neighbourhood pyromaniac!

Matt for the lifts and all the shared food!

Martin for teaching me how to use my compass.

Ashley for teaching me some better knots for my hammock, including the famous Cawley Hitch!!

Everyone for being great company.

" Charcoaler "
    thats absolutely magic my friend, for once words fail me .......... its ok i am alright again now well done bud ,you can come again
    The member formerly known as Marcus Absent

Wow, amazing pics there,,,,zaphod, looks like a fantastic site with great hosts, and I even recognise most of the faces in the last pic, would love to see a pic of Ashleys 'coccoon' or the 'spec', I would love to get into hammock dwelling more but up here we can have 'cold air' even in summer so at the mo' my preference is a tent, would love to visit and meet up with you guys-but Cornwall and Dartmoor is a long way from home, great to see people with a common interest 'living it up' outside

Jim

Looks like you guys had a great time out there.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Looks good fells, i'd also like to see Ashley's 'Coccoon' if possible.
    There's no brew without fire.

Hey bud, thanks for a superb account of a truly excellent weekend

Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

@Kiltie & Klause

Here is a pic of Ashley's cacoon with the tarp folded back out of the way... I intend on having a bash at making one out of a couple of old sleeping bags sometime, If I do I will post my attempt on this forum. Perfect item for keeping snug inside a hammock, Ashley used this without a sleeping bag and the temperature was about -3 to -5 so they definitely work!!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Blimey, I never realised I had such a good time.

It was a brilliant weekend wasn't it?! Great to get up and do some walking even if it was just a very short walk but the time and the cold didn't really help matters. Thanks for the fantastic photos Paul, they will ensure we have great memories for years to come.

All the best

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Pukka pics there Paul.. Thanks for taking the time to sort that.. :0)

I watched a film once called the Magnificient seven about a bunch of cowboys.... Funny how certain things spark off one's memories...!

Stunning place, fab pictures...

Wished I was there guys, looked great and I'd love to visit later in the year.

Good Stuff.

Paul
    Last edited by paul standley; 01-02-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!