Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    Besides, I have watched "cliffhanger" I know what you guys do! ;-)
    Helicopter heroes shows a more accurate representation...and if you know where to lool you may even catch a glimpse of moi
    [

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Where are they coming from...well well, someone has chosen to get lost in this area, during a storm with hurricane strength gusts.
    Those willing to risk it are out searching. Feel I should pray for them, but I am not much for that sort of thing...

Apparntly what happened was that his 2 mates sensibly turned back due to the weather and darkness setting in. While this *person* decided to continue to the top on his own...

I think public whipping should be re-introduced in these cases.

Attachment 10964
    They found this one cold but allive. naturally he was not dressed or equipped to be out at all.

The lady skiier was found in a cabin she had broken into (wich is perfectly okay and a sensible thing to do in the circumstances), also cold, hungry but allive.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 28-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    Sound like a right pair of prats. My humanity dictates that I hope they are found well, but I'm mostly thinking of the SAR teams out looking for these idiots and wishing them well. Public whipping definitely, and at the very least these pillocks should be fined the cost of the SAR effort.
    +1
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    Sound like a right pair of prats. My humanity dictates that I hope they are found well, but I'm mostly thinking of the SAR teams out looking for these idiots and wishing them well. Public whipping definitely, and at the very least these pillocks should be fined the cost of the SAR effort.
    Fishy folk said
    They found this one cold but allive. naturally he was not dressed or equipped to be out at all.

The lady skiier was found in a cabin she had broken into (wich is perfectly okay and a sensible thing to do in the circumstances), also cold, hungry but allive.
    Hmmmm, I'll ask again particularly from the UK point of view....

a fine equivalent to the SAR effort..So how much does one cost then ? Who would get the money ? and Im sure any of the SAR volunteers who haunt these pages will tell you (retired or serving) whippings arent necessary but we do reserve the right to give someone a damn good talking to.....insurance isnt required as in the UK Land SAR costs the UK tax payer almost nothing and a lot less than the 90 million quid we waste on MP's
    Last edited by Silverback; 28-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    [

Tried a search. But even the media only has speculations on what the cost of these things are. Mainly because the organisations involved like the Norwegian Red Cross Search and Rescue Corps and the 337Sqd of the Air Force (SAR Choppers) refuse to say.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 28-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

I was thinking more about UK SAR ops Rune....

Its the favourite thing for folks here in the UK (particularly those without mountain or moorland) to harp on (and im not picking on specific forum members either) about the cost to the taxpayer and how walkers/climbers etc should have insurance et al ad nauseum forgetting that a great number of rescues also include horse riders, dog walkers and even getting people out of houses...and that most of the cost comes out of the rescuers own pockets.....even the air ambulance is funded by donation
    [

Found some figures. Acording to the SAR station at Sola in Stavanger, a SAR helicopter cost 30 000 NOK per hour in the air. Thats around 3000£ an hour.

A snowscooter with crew costs 150£ an hour to run. Fuel is payed according to a government regulative at around 1£ per km for a snow scooter and 0,5£ for a car. With extras for passengers, trailers and cargo. The volunteers also get refunded for actual costs of meals.

The organisations send their bills to the Norwegian Joint Rescue Coordination Centres wich are run by the air force. The yearly bill is around 3,5 million NOK or 350 000£
    Easter allone (thats when every idiot in Norway thinks he is Lars Monsen, and set out to conquer the mountains on skis) cost the volunteer SAR orgs 1 million NOK...
    In addition these organisations get 4,5 million a year over the government budget for preventive meassures, as wella s training of crews.

These are not all the costs. Just what was mentioned in a Norwegian news article I found dated 1998....
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    I was thinking more about UK SAR ops Rune....

Its the favourite thing for folks here in the UK (particularly those without mountain or moorland) to harp on (and im not picking on specific forum members either) about the cost to the taxpayer and how walkers/climbers etc should have insurance et al ad nauseum forgetting that a great number of rescues also include horse riders, dog walkers and even getting people out of houses...and that most of the cost comes out of the rescuers own pockets.....even the air ambulance is funded by donation
    The costs should not differ much. A SAR chopper for example will cost about the same to run over there as here.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    The costs should not differ much. A SAR chopper for example will cost about the same to run over there as here.
    In 13 ish years of MR ops had a helo to a job a handful of times I've seen them more in training....mainly because the transit time to where I was based was 90 minutes...in Snowdonia where its on the doorstep its a regular occurence.

The fact STILL remains that here in the UK SAR operators are almost wholly funded by donations from the public and many of the direct costs come direct from the individual rescuers pocket (its the vey reason i packed in - couldnt flipping afford it anymore)....not the public purse the UK govt does not pay the rescuer a penny, and peoples protestations would be better aimed elsewhere...
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    In 13 ish years of MR ops had a helo to a job a handful of times I've seen them more in training....mainly because the transit time to where I was based was 90 minutes...in Snowdonia where its on the doorstep its a regular occurence.

The fact STILL remains that here in the UK SAR operators are almost wholly funded by donations from the public and many of the direct costs come direct from the individual rescuers pocket (its the vey reason i packed in - couldnt flipping afford it anymore)....not the public purse the UK govt does not pay the rescuer a penny, and peoples protestations would be better aimed elsewhere...
    Not arguing against that at all...just put the numbers up to show what a rescue operation may cost in general, who ever is footing the bill...
    (Roald Amundsen)