Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again...

Here we go again...

Where are they coming from...well well, someone has chosen to get lost in this area, during a storm with hurricane strength gusts.
    Those willing to risk it are out searching. Feel I should pray for them, but I am not much for that sort of thing...

Apparntly what happened was that his 2 mates sensibly turned back due to the weather and darkness setting in. While this *person* decided to continue to the top on his own...

I think public whipping should be re-introduced in these cases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prekestolen.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	10964
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

It's my firm belief that knowing when NOT to go out there is the number one survival skill.
    Now there is another SAR op going on in the same storm. This after a lady who decied to go into the hills on skis
    for an afternoon excercice run, while the media is screaming that a hurricane is coming and the police is asking people to stay indoors...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Sound like a right pair of prats. My humanity dictates that I hope they are found well, but I'm mostly thinking of the SAR teams out looking for these idiots and wishing them well. Public whipping definitely, and at the very least these pillocks should be fined the cost of the SAR effort.

Your right, knowing your abilities and reading the conditions (in this case obvious!) should be the first rule of survival!

Fingers crossed they are ok, no matter how stupid their decisions lets hope the hero's out there find them safe and sound.

Remind me again about how much the SAR efforts cost ? Particularly in the UK. Remember this the folks in SAR are perfectly capable of going out in bad weather, won't put their lives in mortal danger, will go out for anyone and lastly do not consider themselves at all heroic
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Remind me again about how much the SAR efforts cost ? Particularly in the UK. Remember this the folks in SAR are perfectly capable of going out in bad weather, won't put their lives in mortal danger, will go out for anyone and lastly do not consider themselves at all heroic
    In my personal view not considering what they do is what makes their actions heroic, its a term widely used and much over used these days. People who win sporting events are often called hero's, they aren't, people who risk their lives for others are hero's in my book.

Stan...... I have just retired from 13 years service in MR as a Search Dog handler, advanced medic and swiftwater and flood rescue technician...we are not heroes, just folks that are prepared to go a little further. The risks are calculated and minimised as much as possible hence the incredibly low number of injuries and deaths on ops
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Stan...... I have just retired from 13 years service in MR as a Search Dog handler, advanced medic and swiftwater and flood rescue technician...we are not heroes, just folks that are prepared to go a little further. The risks are calculated and minimised as much as possible hence the incredibly low number of injuries and deaths on ops
    Yep, I know.... I still stand by what I said, I am sure you haven't kept count of the number of people you have helped in those 13 years but I bet everyone of them will never forget what you and others like you have done for them. This is my opinion and I stand by it, please take it with the admiration intended. I once broke my arm in 3 places while on my mountain bike and a drunk driver decided to drive towards me. I was left for dead by this T**T and if it wasn't for ordinary people stopping to help me who knows what could of happened. I will never forget the couple who took me in, called an ambulance, called my wife and looked after my kit until I could pick it up. Then there were the paramedic's, they did their job, that's all.... But they did it in a way which I will never forget, I was in so much pain and shock they had to remind me to breath! Then all the doctors, nurses, porters, just doing their jobs. They were all hero's to me, all I could do was offer my gratitude for their help. They never risked their lives for me but when I needed someone all of them were there for me and I count myself lucky they were.

So you may not want to be called a hero and that's fine, but, to many people you will be and thank god there are people who will go that little bit further to help others.

By the way, they never caught the drunk driver........

Besides, I have watched "cliffhanger" I know what you guys do! ;-)

<Blush>..........
    [