Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ray grills Bear!

Its all forward planning with Ray and Bear, this situation is set up for a commercial purpose, In the spring of 2013 they are going to join forces for TV
    Bear is going to demonstrate how to get yourself into dire and mind numbingly stupid predicaments-then Ray is going to come along and demonstrate how to "cook bear- in a traditional way"

laughed til I had tears in my eyes after reading Comanighttrains insight
    "Similarly if I followed Ray's instructions in a real survival situation I'd probably be a bit worse for wear but alright when finally found. If I followed Bear's I'd probably be found at the bottom of a ravine/vomiting/dehydrated/poisoned/breath smelling like bear poo"

To start with Ray and Bear are both equally entertaining in their own right, Ray calm and informative whilst Bear is exciting and reckless.
    Both of these presenters, (and lets face it thats what they are TV presenters), highlight getting out and getting involved in nature which can only be a good thing.
    My boys love watching Bear whilst i preferre Ray, but if anyone, on watching Bear, went out and jumped off a revine to their death then they probibly weren't the sharpest of cats in the first place.
    I have to say that 'Uncle Ray's comments on Bear seemed a little insensitive boardering on the imature, there was absolutely no need to act/speak in the manner he did. More power to Bear for acting in a gentlemanly fashion by not rising to the 'uncalled for' words by Ray (can't believe he mentioned the scouts).

It is nice to see that not everybody who went to Eaton ended up a banker or politition.

Stop being childish and work together, that's what we want!
    There's no brew without fire.

Banned
    Just to point out that as he mentioned The Scouts that they still don't let atheists join who won't lie. Seems about par for the course for someone who is economical with the truth in his programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Wow, that's brutal. And humble too on Bear's part (news to me that he was a 'Terrie', always advertised he was a full flown SAS member til he got injured as I recall), always liked Bear and the balls he had to do the things he did, but knew it was more info based as opposed to reality, still, he DID do stuff (showmanship) that would make even the tough guys in the audience revolt in disgust.
    Chris Ryan was also 23 mob, and if you consider that neither he nor Bear had units to go back to they are probably more full flown regiment than 22. As for all the Bear bashing i think the guy should be commended for what he is doing with the scouts. He is making a lot of dreams come true with his appearances up and down the country. If he inspires todays youth then he is doing a good job. The reason i believe a lot of people mention bear when they ask about bushcraft because he seems to be on the TV a bit more at the minute than ray Mears. I personally enjoy watching bear and his antics its very entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Just to point out that as he mentioned The Scouts that they still don't let atheists join who won't lie. Seems about par for the course for someone who is economical with the truth in his programmes.
    eeerr, what decade have you been living in? i have been a in scouting for 7 years and am now an explorer scout. im atheist, and i think you might be living in the 1950's as anyone can join scouts. there are both christian, muslim, jewish and aethiest scouts in my local scout and explorer group.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

and i can;t help but laugh at the whole OTTness of bears shows. i think ray is great for teaching skills, but lets face it, he is a presenter, even if he is a very learned one. hey how bout lest stroud? he dosent have any camera crew, but most likely gets a few months training before being dumped in his next survival sitation with his cameras.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rushton View Post
    eeerr, what decade have you been living in? i have been a in scouting for 7 years and am now an explorer scout. im atheist, and i think you might be living in the 1950's as anyone can join scouts. there are both christian, muslim, jewish and aethiest scouts in my local scout and explorer group.
    And what oath did you take? Not the Outlander as it isn't recognised. Or do you kind of sneak around the subject If you have been a scout since 2004 then most certainly you took an oath you did not believe in. Or what Promise did you make? Or was and is everybody wrong to think that the Scouts did require the recognition of a Supreme being, suitably modified for Hindus?

"Other questions related to external publicity, Bearís activities and whether or not atheists should be permitted to be leaders." From the Grinning Like a Cheshire Cat section on the Scouting Association's website. Any reference to the Scout Promise includes duty to God.

In most cases Les gets to a location and spends a single week with the indiginous people to learn their culture, how they survive, hunt, live and about the environment before he does it for a week on his own. That is balls!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    In most cases Les gets to a location and spends a single week with the indiginous people to learn their culture, how they survive, hunt, live and about the environment before he does it for a week on his own. That is balls!
    Yeh i like that guy he propper roughs it !
    There's no brew without fire.

Tribal Elder
    I just read this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-than-him.html

Can't help but feel that although Ray is right he is making himself look like a bit of a jerk....