Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ray grills Bear!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I don't buy that argument.
    When I was younger I used to love watching Flashing Blades. And the Star Wars films. And Indiana Jones. When we went out to play we'd do all sorts of things - jumping ravines, climbing trees, all those kinds of things we'd seen in those films.
    Should they have been scorned and admonished because they incited kids to do dangerous things?
    Of course not.
    In fact, it's a good thing we DID watch those films - kids should push boundaries, take risks and, yes - hurt themselves occasionally doing such things. And that's all that Bear Grylls is - vicarious entertainment. People claiming he's irresponsible are taking themselves and their hobby too seriously.
    He's exciting to kids and provokes their imaginations, their games and their enjoyment of the world around them.
    He's no more relevant to bushcraft than Indiana Jones, so I don't know why people get so hot under the collar about him.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I enjoy watching The Bear!!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I don't buy that argument.
    When I was younger I used to love watching Flashing Blades. And the Star Wars films. And Indiana Jones. When we went out to play we'd do all sorts of things - jumping ravines, climbing trees, all those kinds of things we'd seen in those films.
    Should they have been scorned and admonished because they incited kids to do dangerous things?
    Of course not.
    In fact, it's a good thing we DID watch those films - kids should push boundaries, take risks and, yes - hurt themselves occasionally doing such things. And that's all that Bear Grylls is - vicarious entertainment. People claiming he's irresponsible are taking themselves and their hobby too seriously.
    He's exciting to kids and provokes their imaginations, their games and their enjoyment of the world around them.
    He's no more relevant to bushcraft than Indiana Jones, so I don't know why people get so hot under the collar about him.
    I was thinking similarly on the bus until i ran into a very good parallel.

I help people lose/gain weight using realistic and scientifically founded methods. I get very annoyed when some hippie type comes a long, fills peoples heads with nonsense about crystals, about meal times, about meal sizes and about fat being toxic. It sends people off down the wrong road and in the end they end up spending more money and achieving nothing.

Similarly if I followed Ray's instructions in a real survival situation I'd probably be a bit worse for wear but alright when finally found. If I followed Bear's I'd probably be found at the bottom of a ravine/vomiting/dehydrated/poisoned/breath smelling like bear poo

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Similarly if I followed Ray's instructions in a real survival situation I'd probably be a bit worse for wear but alright when finally found. If I followed Bear's I'd probably be found at the bottom of a ravine/vomiting/dehydrated/poisoned/breath smelling like bear poo
    I'm amazed that you think that watching Ray paddling up and down the Canadian rivers, or sitting with a group of Australian aborigines, for one hour a week, the basis for survival should you find yourself in such a random situation.

In reality, I'll think you'll find that Ray's advice will stand you in no greater stead than Bear's - assuming that you were not 'into' bushcraft (which, by definition of you being on this forum, you are into). The 'man-on-the-street' is no better served by Ray than Bear - these skills have to be practiced, not just watched on the idiot box! THAT is what will save you - practicing these skills.
    As someone interested in bushcraft, you probably get more from Ray. Which we all do. But it is your interest in bushcraft and wilderness techniques (doubtless inspired by Ray), and your interest in practicing and experimenting in them, that will save you in a survival situation. NOT who you watch.

Tribal Elder
    That is true

It is all just a state of your mind I think if you want to survive you will
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

At the end of the day we are all survivalists because we are alive
    You were born as an original. Don't die as a copy

Tribal Elder
    I read on some experiment that was done with rats, they put the rats in a container and filled it with water. They consistantly found that the rats which survived often survived the next runnings of the same experiment: Concluding that some rats are just geared to survive, some with die. We are the same in many ways... Not to be gruesome or unkind but there are many examples during the Nazi persecutions. Some of the persecuted fought til the end, some managed to escape and the others more or less did not fight. Its a horrid example....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Interviewed by Radio Times earlier this year, Mears laughed out loud when asked if he watched Grylls's show for tips. He said: 'Yes – on how not to make television programmes! As far as I am concerned these people are just showmen.

'I welcome competition, but I want to see real experts, not Boy Scouts pretending to be.'

He isn't dissing the Scouts, he's just pointing out that they're not yet experts & neither is Teddy-Bear!

There's a misconception that he actually teaches survival, he doesn't most of the time he'd get you killed if you followed his advice... (hence why I don't promote him on my website) it's well and truly set-up/Fake and just "entertainment" look

If you think that is the best way to survive or is even real, well be my guest to try it.
    I'm a big chicken for heights, more so the falling part, so therefore I would have just walked the 200ft to the hill where the bridge starts and walked up it. ..

I can fully understand that Ray gets annoyed when compared to Bear.

Ray's books and television shows are based on years of hard studies, personal experience gained through hard work and knowledge obtained from traveling all over the world, learning from indegenious people and skilled survavilists all over the world. Ray is a scholar.

Bear is a trained soldier, but foremost an extreme sportsman - not a survivalist. A survivalist doesn't deliberately put himself in danger "just for kicks". When Bear presents his stunts as survival techniques, he misinforms people that doesn't know any better - making it a lot harder for people like Ray to do their job; teach actual survival techniques.

Ultimately; if you do not know any better (most people doesn't) - and you end up in a surviuval situation - trying to follow the "advice" given by Bear, you may very well end up hurting yourself and others badly or even get killed.

I can easily understand how a person like Ray could see it as his duty to strongly denounce the "techniques" shown by Bear, when asked directly to compare them to his own teachings.
    I experinced the same thing, back in the days when I taught western martial arts; people would come up to me, asking me what I thought about this or that stagefighting group, failing to understand the fundamental diffrence between martial arts and stagefight.
    Last edited by JEEP; 01-02-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Hobo
    I remeber cringing when I saw that stunt on the railway bridge, thinking some naive kid is going to die after seeing this and thinking they can do it!

Dave