Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ray grills Bear!

Wink Ray grills Bear!

Ummmm Couldn't think where to put this link, but let's say it made me chuckle for quite a while! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ar-Grylls.html

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Wow, that's brutal. And humble too on Bear's part (news to me that he was a 'Terrie', always advertised he was a full flown SAS member til he got injured as I recall), always liked Bear and the balls he had to do the things he did, but knew it was more info based as opposed to reality, still, he DID do stuff (showmanship) that would make even the tough guys in the audience revolt in disgust.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Exclamation Teddy Bear Doesn't do much other than action-man "entertainment"

Interviewed by Radio Times earlier this year, Mears laughed out loud when asked if he watched Grylls's show for tips. He said: 'Yes – on how not to make television programmes! As far as I am concerned these people are just showmen.

'I welcome competition, but I want to see real experts, not Boy Scouts pretending to be.'

He isn't dissing the Scouts, he's just pointing out that they're not yet experts & neither is Teddy-Bear!

There's a misconception that he actually teaches survival, he doesn't most of the time he'd get you killed if you followed his advice... (hence why I don't promote him on my website) it's well and truly set-up/Fake and just "entertainment" look...

If you think that is the best way to survive or is even real, well be my guest to try it.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Who cares?
    Really?

" Charcoaler "
    Wheres the back pack he climbed up with ? oh dear dont see any point to that excersise, and think of the poor old cameraman he must have gone up with all that equipment, hes the true hero/nutter. ps. ash perhaps we will make a flag or something out of that jacket.
    The member formerly known as Marcus Absent

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I remember meeting BG a few years ago when the company I was working for at the time (Craghoppers) were building a website for his brand. He's a nice enough chap, but as far as his 'survival' shows go, I think he's a reckless idiot. I remember watching one episode where he was high on the edge of a ravine and describing how to use vines to climb down into an eighty-foot sinkhole to reach the river below, all the time saying "this is extremely dangerous". I just sat there thinking "erm, don't do it then". There was a path leading down to the river he was trying to reach right next to the sink hole in question. Presumably for us mere 'not ready for extremely dangerous' folk (a.k.a. sensible people).

Tribal Elder
    I do remember one show where he climbed down a ravine, turned around and said "I'm alone down here, I don't know how to get out" and i was thinking... but your not alone? the camera crew is down there. Guy struck me as being full of it.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Who cares? Really?
    Good point ... but it gets on my pip when people try to compare what you do to the same as "that bear grylls chap on TV"... and more importantly you see impressionable youngsters who know no better thinking he's giving out good survival advice - when he could be endangering them should they ever rely on his advice in a true survival situation. - All for what? Profiteering entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    ... ash perhaps we will make a flag or something out of that jacket.
    I wouldn't worry Ivan - there's plenty of people who visit this site who like to watch Bear Grylls for his entertainment value and at the end of the day it's clothing so I think it'll still be a popular prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Good point ... and more importantly you see impressionable youngsters who know no better thinking he's giving out good survival advice - when he could be endangering them should they ever rely on his advice in a true survival situation. - All for what? Profiteering entertainment.
    I don't buy that argument.
    When I was younger I used to love watching Flashing Blades. And the Star Wars films. And Indiana Jones. When we went out to play we'd do all sorts of things - jumping ravines, climbing trees, all those kinds of things we'd seen in those films.
    Should they have been scorned and admonished because they incited kids to do dangerous things?
    Of course not.
    In fact, it's a good thing we DID watch those films - kids should push boundaries, take risks and, yes - hurt themselves occasionally doing such things. And that's all that Bear Grylls is - vicarious entertainment. People claiming he's irresponsible are taking themselves and their hobby too seriously.
    He's exciting to kids and provokes their imaginations, their games and their enjoyment of the world around them.
    He's no more relevant to bushcraft than Indiana Jones, so I don't know why people get so hot under the collar about him.