Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Bushcraft Group

Nobody is putting a spanner in the works, least of all me. Note that I wished him well. I am not a member of Northern Soul Bushcraft though I have attended their meets. I also hate big meets and would rather meet a small group of local friends, but this has proved impossible to hold together - I tried. People have other commitments; family, work, girlfriends, etc and soon drop out.

I am not trying to put a 'downer' on the idea, I am just being realistic after years of experience. Check the stats, there are 302 active members on this forum, out of a membership of over 8000. I am on other forums and the stats are similar.

I don't think it is a bad idea, I would like it to succeed, but I think its chances are slim. Hence my suggestion to cast his net wider.

But if you think it will work - go for it! I hope I am wrong.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Hi guys. Thanks to Ichneumon, I appreciate that you are just trying to make sure I don't get my hopes up and end up disheartened and to give good advice. However, I am going to go shake the tree and see what happens. Thanks to Sam too, hopefully we'll find some interested parties.
    I've set up a facebook group too, here's the link for anyone interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1390145621253932/

Didn't mean to sound nasty but everyone just puts it down as a loss as soon as they see the word Wigan

Good for you Rob! Go shake that tree. I hope the apples fall like rain. :-)
    ― Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by sam2013 View Post
    Didn't mean to sound nasty but everyone just puts it down as a loss as soon as they see the word Wigan
    Sam, there are places all over the country that need patriotic folk like yourself. I happen to live in a town thats classed as 'one of the most deprived areas in the South West' but it is where I choose to live. In honesty, it is not often you will find anyone having a dig on here, we are like minded folk that really have more interest in the great outdoors than the town itself.

Nothing wrong with Wigan. I like the place, and the locals. They just didn't build their pier long enough.
    ― Isaac Newton

Wigan has a pier? They demolished ours to build a brick wall in its place.

How the heck did NSB come to get the mucky end of that little rant ? For those who don't get it NSB has people come to its meets from all over the country, has no 'formal' membership process or subs so in effect can't heve members and hasn't turned out more than 20 folks to meet at one time since it started.
    The reason there are rules ? Because some folks like to take the mickey and do things that ruin it for everyone else.

If you want to get a little local group together then so what ? its not worth getting stressed over or even starting a turf war for petes sake
    [

It's not getting the shorty end of the stick I was just saying that some people don't like big meets with 20 folks every meet .. Personally I prefer to just go with myself and 2 or 3 others

No hard feelings guys and no offence to nsb either

Don't ever go to the Bushcraft show then. We regularly do smaller meets of less than 10 its just not all over the forum. We only hold 4 larger meets through the year and this year may be less
    [