Thread: In from the storm

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar

In from the storm

Returning from a time in the wood to find my timing was good. I don't take a radio, so quite happy to find any nasty weather has waited until I'm somewhere a tree can't fall on me..I'm sorry to learn about the Glasgow helicopter crash though..

The days were fairly mild here in the South, nights cold(ish) so glad of the 4 season bag, but frost only on 2 nights.
    Some of the trees still carried leaves but as I broke camp this morning the wind was increasing and I backpacked out through a veritable leaf storm.

The Braken always interests me, as in the photo above swathes of it die off while nearby some looks almost like Spring growth.

Home for 9 nights.

The little stream needs the winter rains but it's course stays wet even in the driest summer and the banks are home to a good show of Ferns.

My water comes from this ancient man made well. I run it through a good filter and always boil it and so far no ill effects.
    ( Does anyone know a supplier of gloves with 6 fingers...just asking..)..

Still some fungi appearing..

I like the way this ground fungus has taken to the trees...

Found where the Hawks have their eating place..

I'm not a 'Foodie' at all, no fancy camp cooking. There's about a week+ grub left there in the photo. I buy little packets of croutons in the supermarket and chuck them in the mess tin with a Mugshot and sliced smoked sausage and it makes a kind of pasta feed, or use the ready meals like Wayfarers, and our friend on the tree trunk need not fear me..

The woodland spirits have been playing balancing acts I think..

Soon the light will be gone, then the Tawny Owls will start and it's nice to fall asleep listening to the sounds of the wildwood.

Last edited by saxonaxe; 06-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.

[

nice photos, thanks for sharing
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Nice pics.. Good to get away eh.. I just got back from the woods too, but I was working in them during the day

Thanks for posting this, just the nudge I needed to get me out. I can't upload pics, so I'm grateful to the people that do.
    On a side note, that food wouldn't last a week with me

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    On a side note, that food wouldn't last a week with me

I understand what you're saying, but I've found myself actually bringing unused grub out of the wood in the past, not eaten.
    There were a few packets of that "Good Morning" porridge not in the photo and the powdered milk, sugar,tea bags from the brew kit but that's about it. I spend a lot of time just sitting up, watching wildlife or sitting by the fire after dark swigging tea and I find I don't need that much apart from an evening meal. Always stop at the transport cafe on the way home though and have a 'Truckers Breakfast'...

Samuel Hearne
    That looks like a very nice place cheers for sharing.

Very nice place and some great photos bud

great pictures! sounds like you had a cracking wee adventure, thanks for sharing

Dont know how I missed these pics John. Great album of your time in the woods... as usual, is that a web tex filter you use ?. atb Ken
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.