Thread: food for the freezer

food for the freezer

had an hour on the squid tonight,they come in the shallows to spawn and we catch them of the pier with squid jiggers,only got 7 tonight they had just gone of the boil when we got there,normally fill a large fish box within an hour if you want that many.
    i just try to take enough to last through till this time next year...you can only eat so many stir fry's lol

thanks for looking atb kev

my favourite sea food. In years of sea angling I have never caught squid. used them for bait occasionally. Thanks for sharing.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Nice catch!

I've done it abroad but never tried fishing for squid in this country. You might have to let on a bit more if you don't mind divulging please? Locations/time of year?
    Great catch, those ones are a real nice size.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Brilliant, caught lots of octopus before but never squid, would love to catch them.. where did you get them?

i will divulge lol...i live in the isle of man so are surrounded by sea and varietys of coastline.
    we are fishing of the pier in the capital which is douglas,the squid come in every year to the shallows to spawn,november till mid december latest.
    a few of the local boats do well but to be fair you will get more than you ever need of the pier.
    you catch day or night though night is better,i shine my rabbit lamp into the water and its like a magnet to them.
    tackle is just a spinning rod and a squid jig https://www.google.com/search?q=squi...w=1440&bih=808 hope that link works.
    the hooks are barbless and really sharp and tangle in the tenticales...its funny you can be catching a few here and there and suddenly they just go into a feeding frenzy and you can fill a fishbox in about 5 minutes....and then you gotta sort them all lol...atb kev