Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred boot (or other) outsole brand.

Preferred boot (or other) outsole brand.

Just curious as to how much outsole make, factors into your choosing of boots. I never personally put any thought into it as my first three pairs of what I would call proper boots (2xkarrimors and 1xmeindhl) all had vibram soles but my latest pair of salomans with their 'contagrip' soles are rubbish in comparison. Weather it be on wet rock, mud or snow/ice. TBH they would have been retired long ago if they weren't soo comfortable.
    Last edited by chris_leech; 25-11-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling

Love my Meindls....the Vibram sole is excellent.

Had several pairs (3) of Salomons and they just werent up to the job (I was MRT/SAR) and i would always return to the Meindl....I wear a pair of UK Issue extreme cold weather boots for work they have an excellent Vibram sole and I now have a pair of Altberg Field and Fell for playing and so far the Skywalk sole is impressing me....
    [

Quote Originally Posted by chris_leech View Post
    Just curious as to how much outsole make, factors into you choosing of boots. I never personally put any thought into it as my first three pairs of what I would call proper boots (2xkarrimors and 1xmeindhl) all had vibrab soles but my latest pair of salomans with their 'contagrip' soles are rubbish in comparison. Weather it be on wet rock, mud or snow/ice. TBH they would have been retired long ago if they weren't soo comfortable.
    Before my Meindls I had the truely awful (yet very comfortable and would also have been retired ages ago if it wasnt for the comfort) Jack Pyke Countryman boots. I'm not sure what sole was on the Jack Pykes but the Meindls feel a lot more ... sure footed.

Even the Vibram soles can be different between brands. I have had a few different makes that utilise the Vibram footprint but found my current Merrells to be the best so far.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    For a while, I was a convert to Salomon. However, I have found the quality and customer service from this company to be so bad that I will never buy any of their products again. Goretex liners that leak, eyelets that snap and quick tie laces that come untied!! Their solution??? Buy a repair kit from us!!!

I have now reverted to my Meindls

Salomon = Avoid like the plague

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Kinda off topic. Firstly 'Salomon' yes I agree Martin & Meindls are a good brand. A mate of mine Ex-Services he imported Soviet Military issue thick rubber soles for a pair of boots he was repairing for going fishing. He has used pairs of Russian Army issue boots in the past. He does leather/shoe repair as a side line. Not only did the thick rubber soles keep out sharp objects but insulated his feet in the water. He now has a number of repairs on other boots by customers using the Soviet issue rubber soles. He say's they're hard wearing to 'boot' (pardon the pun) .
    Regards
    David

Not much love for salomons it seems. Mine are now reserved for summer/causal use. In my local (council managed)woods there are some 'off trail' routes that run along by a stream. These are quite treacherous when the stream swells and the salomons just aren't up to the job and I don't fancy going for a swim.

I used a pair of Salomons during the 2007 flood rescues in S Yorks...a month later they started to fall apart...that may have had more to do with the water though
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I like my vibram. Had a pair of brasher fellmaster gtx for a while, I didn't even get a year out of them. To be honest I don't think I even done 200 miles before they were needing a resole. I only got them as my last pair of Lowas were too heavy for the summer, but even still £100 plus boots should get mileage out of them than that.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

My winter boots are Sorels from the late 1960s with many miles to their name, and they're still going strong...only need to recondition the leather with LL Bean Boot Guard every now and then.
    For the rest of the year, my Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeepers have proven their worth and more...SO much better than the cr** el-cheapo Hi-Tec boots I used to wear. Most folks I know prefer their Timberlands to just about anything else on the US market.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin