Thread: Encounter With A Wild Stag

Encounter With A Wild Stag

Weekend just gone I was out with a friend to explore some new woods.
    Whilst stopping for lunch guess what walked into our camp - a stag!
    Pretty amazing encounter, as you can imagine. There it was, just a few feet away, a full grown stag! The rutting season has obviously made them a bit bolder.
    We sat there staring at each other, all three of us stock still. My camera was out of arm's reach and I knew if I went for it the stag would run. Then I remembered the mobile phone in my pocket, so I eased it out and managed to get off a couple of shots before the animal bolted.

More words and pictures are on our blog, which you can see by clicking on the link in my signature.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Nice one..
    Me n a mate bumped into a fully grown red deer stag up in the Highlands once. It barked a challenge at us and frightened the life out of us, but we held our ground and the stag wandered off after a bit..

Trapper
    excellent photo and you took it with your moblie well done

Trapper
    great picture for a phone, whilst at our woods on friday gone, my wife walked back to where we parked the car and bumped into four roe deer

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Great shot bud! What a beast, encounters like that stick in your mind I'll check your blog-post in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Me n a mate bumped into a fully grown red deer stag up in the Highlands once. It barked a challenge at us...
    That reminds me of the first encounter I had with a stag barking at me; I was solo camping in a forest on Dartmoor back in 2008, walking up a hill just as it was starting to turn dark to get reception and dial-in home to the Mrs, I didn't even see the stag until I was close and he barked! Well it was more like a roar echoing through the valley and made me jump out of my skin!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Wow...I bet that was an interesting experience . One thing I've noticed in my area is that the does in particular are more tame this time of year. Haven't run across the stags yet. Unfortunately, all this excitement in the woodland means that the confounded poachers will be out again .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Just to add that Stags can be very dangerous during the rut. Be careful especially if you have dog(s) with you
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Brilliant, many thanks for sharing such a magical moment of closeness with nature. I am so glad you had a camera phone you could reach.
    English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God.