Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: time to get into prepping?

All you so cooled prepper are on the same song sheet,the what if song.

Wanderer
    can you be so sure though? got crystal balls have you? with what is happening in the world these days from Ukraine to GM foods I wouldn't want to put my chances of survival in the hands of a sceptic.....or the government, I mean didn't they react fast to what was happening on the levels? yeah right, those people were left to fend for themselves for 2 months...........

Well If keeping a well stocked larder,and freezer(tho would have to cook n eat first if powercut off)means I'm a prepper?or as the scout motto says "Be Prepared Than At 73,Thats me.In my villlage,there only has to be a covering of snow,and the two shops Coop n Londis are cleared out,by panic buying,Bread ,milk ,Veggies,etc.(sure they waste most of it).
    Like the fact I drive a JEEP,I often get "don't know why you drive a big gas guzzler"until it snows.Then Its,if they see me going out its,"If your going??? you couldn't get me ????Coops sold out.etc."Each to his own I guess!!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Being prepared means you don't need to use your Jeep

Make a cozy from duvets for your freezer and your good for a week, a small petrol genny will 'charge' the freezer if you use if for a couple of hours a day (or less at times).
    Last edited by rik_uk3; 02-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Samuel Hearne
    I would like to think that most people have some sort of food in their cupboards that would last them at least 3 days I know that in our cupboards there is enough food in tins and packets to last 4 of us at least 5 days and that is not including frozen food, otherwise we have enough fishing/ hunting kit that we all know how to use and repair if needed, I place out wires as part of rabbit control on land that I have permission.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I work on the principle in a happy peace loving guy, if anyone needs a hand I'll help them out. I'm lucky I don't have gas to go out, I have a multi burner which I can run on wood. I'm not far away from a water source and I can get game if it's needed. I grow my own veg and preserve as much as I can. I also live on a hill and the water would have to raise 200 ft to get into my door. Pretty safe to say unless we are invaded and for some reason I've not already been called up for service, I'd say I'm pretty safe at home. I always have everything handy as I make the vast majority of my income outdoors. So my prepping is just the common sense type if preparing. Yeah there's a chance civilisation might end but to be honest we'd all be pretty safe, as most people want to learn your skills, and let's face it we aren't elitist sharing knoledge.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Really Bigpaul? That was a Really bold statement. Not looking for a forum caffufful here, just wondering why all these events have your heckles up is all
    Winter is coming

Here in New Zealand, everyone is recommended to have get away kits, with water, food, clothes and all the rest.

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunami's an all that..

Hardly anyone actually has the kits though..

I've just put ours together, now I am making taylor made ones for other people & selling them
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    What is the vast bulk of the properties over there built from?
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    What is the vast bulk of the properties over there built from?
    House?

Timber...

Most of them are the timber frames then some bricks haha, they go up real quick & quite cheap.. They're not the best insulated, or best built.. I've seen some tips here. Ripping out a kitchen on a $2,000,000 house (the kitchen was on the top floor), you could see a lot of daylight between the floor and wall, about a 4 inch gap.

Most of the houses here can be picked up and transported haha. They're more like caravans.
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/