Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: time to get into prepping?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Some folks have no choice sometimes to either bug out or bug in...In the South Yorkshire floods of 2007 thousands were displaced from their homes, many losing everything and not being able to return home for 72 hrs plus..others had no choice but to either await rescue or bug in because of the floodwaters.

In the A57 closure just 3 years ago many folks were forced to bug in their houses for at least 72 hours...... of the vehicles trapped on the A57 (in the end it was 700) the only people suffering real hardship and NEEDING evacuation to rest centres were car drivers, lorry drivers took it in their stride mainly because they are prepped for long periods away from home.

Im not basing my evidence above on snippets pulled from sensationalist media either - I was on the ground at both incidents
    Where i am, I cant really see anything coming that would cause me to have to evacuate my home. And during a winter storm...never seen one so bad that it has even delayed traffick up here. Well, sometimes they close the bridge to the mainland for a few hours if the winds get to high. And you may be half an hour late for work sometimes as you have to shovel out your driveway to get the car out on the road.

Over on the mainlands interior they sometimes have some floods that will wash out a road.

The only thing I worry about is avalanches in winter. But I am pretty good at not being where they are a danger so that does not worry me either.

Anything else...me thinks I'll have ample warning before a war or something like that breaks out....

Anyway, as long as you keep these numpties off our road system, we'll be fine :-)

Last edited by FishyFolk; 03-11-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Ive watched a few of these doomsday prepper shows and most are prepping for thinks like economy down fall or some war to breakout. For me personally, Im more likely to get stuck in traffic in winter and have to park up and walk home or sleep there the night, or have power cuts, or something of these more realistic situations. It really would be a case of being forced out of my home to bug out as most situations you'd be fine in your house instead of running to the woods so heres a little fun mental task.....right now this second you have to stop what your doing and "bug out" (choose your own reason why) and tell us what you have on you right now to help you carry though your plans....just a little fun. I'll start, my keyring torch, firesteel and multi tool (for my job) thats all I have

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ward View Post
    Ive watched a few of these doomsday prepper shows and most are prepping for thinks like economy down fall or some war to breakout. For me personally, Im more likely to get stuck in traffic in winter and have to park up and walk home or sleep there the night, or have power cuts, or something of these more realistic situations. It really would be a case of being forced out of my home to bug out as most situations you'd be fine in your house instead of running to the woods so heres a little fun mental task.....right now this second you have to stop what your doing and "bug out" (choose your own reason why) and tell us what you have on you right now to help you carry though your plans....just a little fun. I'll start, my keyring torch, firesteel and multi tool (for my job) thats all I have
    Well if the Aliens are invading, or there is a Zombie outbreak , I have my SAK in my camera bag next to the desk here. On my desk there is an now empty coke bottle. So I got a container. It was a bit nippy this morning so have a shemagh, and I am okayish dressed. for a few hours out. There is a shovel and a Mora knife in the car + a lighter in my car.

I am in luck as I just traded for a an Optimus 111 stove from my boss, and he brought it today, so that is sitting next to my desk. And it has some parrafine left in the tank.

But I would not bug out like that. I have a 3 year old in day care. So my number 1 priority would be to get to him...and then I would be 200 meters from home where all my gear is...so I have everything I would not to survive for weeks...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Wow your set for sure! Im coming to your work if I need to bug out today ha ha ive heard so many great things about mora knifes. May have to invest in one

I have my leatherman. A couple of good torches. An Opinel #6. all on my person right now. A Mora robust and LMF fire steel in my truck. 2 or 3 cigars and a pipe and pouch of baccy. there's also the warmth and shelter that my truck would give, if I could take it.

Good items fraser, im going to have a look at these mora knifes later seems to be a popular choice.

Samuel Hearne
    At this moment in time I have a daysack with snares, water bottle, metal mug, paracord, poncho liner, fishing kit and a few knives with sharpening kit all inside the daysack as I was sorting some of my stuff on myself I have my wallet, keys, lighter and just under 2 ounces of bacca with papers, there is still a lot more stuff in the daysack but wont empty it to list the contents.

sitting in front of me, on the desk is my sheath knife (don't know the make as it's 30+ years old) not normally there, but doing a bit more cleaning on it, in the draw to my left is my para cord stash, fire steel, tea lights (small candles) and my ball bearing ammo for my catapults in a pouch. in my car is my rucksack with my catapults, my take down recurve bow, fleece blankets (x2) wind up torch on my key ring. in the shed are my tents, axes, saws, twin ring gas hob with grill, my trangia cooker (that reminds me I need more meths lol)
    I'm half way there, but can the disaster wait until the posty delivers the arrows for my bow lol.
    you're only young once, but immaturity lasts for ever
    4 out of 3 people struggle with maths
    there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by surplus 6 View Post
    sitting in front of me, on the desk is my sheath knife (don't know the make as it's 30+ years old) not normally there, but doing a bit more cleaning on it, in the draw to my left is my para cord stash, fire steel, tea lights (small candles) and my ball bearing ammo for my catapults in a pouch. in my car is my rucksack with my catapults, my take down recurve bow, fleece blankets (x2) wind up torch on my key ring. in the shed are my tents, axes, saws, twin ring gas hob with grill, my trangia cooker (that reminds me I need more meths lol)
    I'm half way there, but can the disaster wait until the posty delivers the arrows for my bow lol.
    HOLY POO! Thats more than I take camping LOL.

Good items fraser, im going to have a look at these mora knifes later seems to be a popular choice.
    Excellent kinfe at a price that wont break your heart when you lose it on a hill somewhere. Not in the same league as one of yours though.