Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: time to get into prepping?

time to get into prepping?

Hi everyone, ive recently be chatting to a fellow forum member David and we was chatting about one subject which naturally went on to the prepperedness subject. In the uk last monday we were threatened with a big storm which hit the south of the uk the hardest. Now im not much of a worry wort when it comes to this sort of thing because the media like to blow everythibg up ten fold but I did start to think (when the winds started picking up and rain was hammering down) "how long would it take if needs be to get clothing/water/food/shelter and the family out of harms way if we needed to get out asap!? Yes in a storm your better off staying in doors but say gas pipes are a threat and you have to get out? I guess what im getting at is ARE YOU PREPPERED and if so how? Lets share ideas and im making a start on my grab bag for my family ha ha

I reckon the only thing worth preparing is knowledge and skill. I imagine if some catastrophe did take place that those who had prepared would be pursued by those who had not- so probably not worth accumulating long term supplies of tins of food, paraffin and solar panels etc etc...

Did you happen to see that bbc program ' blackout' recently?

Cheers, joab

Yes baddy, very thought provoking! And very true how humans started to become animalistic and territorial. Im of the same opinion that to go over the top with prepping (and by that I mean months worth of food and generators etc) your going to become a target, im only willing to prep to the point of 48 hour items in a grab bag because I believe I would have enough supplies in the house like most of us to last 3/4 days without elec or other supples apart from water which is one thing im going to change. But to "bug out" is a decision you'd only take if your house was in danger I think. But I do believe in a emergency bag or grab bag. You dont have to bug out, it could be your supplies to have in your home should the shelfs start to look empty?

Sorry I ment yes buddy! Not baddy!!

I think most people already have the basics to hand. for example some candles for power cuts etc and sufficient food for a few days. If there was some type of incident that caused prolonged issues with power supplies etc. As with most things there will always be some who are better prepared either from a materialistic or mental standpoint.
    I know of some people who wouldn't survive a weekend if the wife didn't cook for them.
    I have a view that it is better to be prepared for usual emergency situations; anything else generally has some warning signs, which the observant souls would pick up on and take whatever action they deemed suited the situation.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I agree with BJ...most folks have stuff on hand, but many will not know what to do with them when the panic sets in. I imagine that lots of people will raid the stores right before the disaster, and when supplies eventually run short, people will resort to anything to nourish themselves...including robbing their neighbors - hence the reason to keep your prepping secret. And of course, you can have all the supplies you need (or think you need), but things can still go ill if you aren't prepared mentally.
    Folks who plan on bugging out had better leave very early else they be caught up in choking gridlock on the highways.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I don't consider myself a prepper, but I do find the topic quite interesting, I've watched a few of the prepper TV programmes just from the perspective of being nosey and seeing what kit others consider important and think they will need to survive. I've also got an interest in off-grid/renewables so it's interesting to see various setups that people put in place, some of them are quite ingenious, some silly but it's entertaining.

When I see such programmes I often think people's game-plan is too readily to bug-out, head for the hills or the woods, when in a lot of situations I would just stay home. Now I know your given scenario (gas-leak) would force you to evacuate but in reality what would I do?... well my wife and I would to move a family members house nearby, failing that a friends house.. numerous locals to pick from, I wouldn't head for the woods in dire conditions.

The great storm of 2013 was pretty epic wasn't it? lol. We were out camping the night before, it was pretty damn gusty at 3AM, plenty of chestnuts down on the floor though.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    We were out camping the night before, it was pretty damn gusty at 3AM, plenty of chestnuts down on the floor though.
    Don't tell the Ice Age squirrel, Ash .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

If anything, the weather conditions are far worse this weekend. We have high seas causing damage along the seafront, flooding and debris everywhere due to the wind. The temperatures have really dropped as well. Not much better tomorrow so the waterproofs will continue to get a good testing.

Some folks have no choice sometimes to either bug out or bug in...In the South Yorkshire floods of 2007 thousands were displaced from their homes, many losing everything and not being able to return home for 72 hrs plus..others had no choice but to either await rescue or bug in because of the floodwaters.

In the A57 closure just 3 years ago many folks were forced to bug in their houses for at least 72 hours...... of the vehicles trapped on the A57 (in the end it was 700) the only people suffering real hardship and NEEDING evacuation to rest centres were car drivers, lorry drivers took it in their stride mainly because they are prepped for long periods away from home.

Im not basing my evidence above on snippets pulled from sensationalist media either - I was on the ground at both incidents
    [