Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Boots - What's best?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Thanks Gareth,

How waterproof are they?
    many thanks,
    I've had mine about 18 months now, and I think they are probably as waterproof as you'll get from non rubber boot. The leather is thick and water repellent & they are goretex lined. To keep the leather in condition I often give them a lick of G Wax.
    Fishing I've stood up to my ankles in the lake and not had any ingress. I guess in time the goretex lining will deteriorate, but if the leather is not holed they wax should keep them pretty waterproof.
    cheers
    Gareth

Tramp
    Hi Guys just bought a pair of Hi-Tec boots for £10.00 seen them in a shop window a couple of weeks ago, never been used, at that prise I wasn't going to mess about, there light to walk in waterproof, comfy on a walk, and are in my size 11 how luck was that, army boots are good got a pair with Magnam on them got those in a sale from millet's lasted ages think there from the USA not sure, still plenty of life in them. have a look on e bay army surplus some great deals on there wish you good luck hope you get what you want buddy..........

My 3 season boots are Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeepers - tough as nails, very comfortable (for me, that is), great traction, and yes, waterproof . The price is a little high, though, and I imagine that there are other better boots with a more reasonable price tag.
    I like the look of Danners, and most folks who own a pair are quite happy with them, but I could never justify spending upwards of $300 for boots...but that's just me .
    For winter, I have an old pair of Sorels (made in the mid '60s) which have a .5 inch thick 75% wool/25% acetate lining. They were passed down to me from my brother's godfather who wore them all the time in the winter up in Vermont - he was a mountain rescue EMS. I've trudged through 30cm accumulation of heavy, wet snow with them, worn them with my snowshoes, and waded in an icy stream with them, and they are still going strong. The only thing I would have to do is to apply some leather conditioner treatment every now and then.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I am more than happy with my Meindl Dovres. Very comfy, sturdy, great support and waterproof. Quite expensive though.

I have two pair that I wear on a regular basis 511 XPRT pros and a pair of Meindl Burma which are great for long treks.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Ones that fit.........that should be your primary concern.
    Fully agree.. We spend so much time on our feet, that we should have something that fits right. We all have different shaped feet, so its best to get fitted out for some boots rather than buy what people recommend.. Meindl and Scarpa are both respected boot making companies, but I have narrow feet and found them too wide, but manufactures like LaScarpa fit me well..

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Owner of both these.. http://www.army.mod.uk/news/24306.aspx & Danner Boots photo taken in my hallway.
    Regards
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	10671

Having handled, owned and sold several brands and models of boots over the years, I can say that one brand - for me at least - stands out from all the others; Meindl; http://www.meindl.de/english/index.html

If you want a Gore-Tex boot, then a par of Meindl Island MFS Active; http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle...il2.asp?ID=932 would be my recommendation - if you, like me, prefer a more traditional pair of full leather boots, a pair of Meindl Borneo 2 MFS; http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle...l2.asp?ID=1300 is imho. the way to go.

I have had a pair of Boeneo MFS Pro (an older model) for almost eight years now, I have walked longer in them than in any other single pair of boots/shoes I have ever owned - and they have yet to show any real signs of wear and tear.

Meindl boots are not cheap to purchase - but considering their longevity, they are imho. truly the cheapest option out there.
    Last edited by JEEP; 13-11-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Hi All and thanks for your comments.
    I've looked at a few and really fancy the Lowa Combats - really like the idea I can replace the sole if and when it needs done.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I have a bit of advice for you, whatever boots you go for get them fitted. The best places are small independent "maw and paw" places (not on commission and honest). I can't tell you what your feet will fit best, but always buy the best you can afford at the time. I personally like Lowa and Hanwag boots but remember to try before you buy.