Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Folding saws

Folding saws

Most of us will know of the Silky range of folding saws. The only thing wrong with them is the price
    I have been using a Wilkinson, the larger model, for Coppice work for the last 3 years. It is different to the Bahcos, Silkys etc in that the blade retracts rather than folds. The blades are very very sharp and seem to hold their edge extremely well. When I've looked at the blade it looks terribly similar to my smaller Silky (that some-one borrowed and failed to return)
    The blade is pushed out and locked in place with a knurled plastic "nut" I have never had one push back except when I failed to tighten it properly.
    Like the Silkys, Gerbers, Bahcos, this is a "pull" saw. If you are not used to "pull" saws then does take some getting used to.
    There is a clip belt hanger provided and this is the only bad part of the bit of kit. You offer the saw up and then turn it through 180 degrees. This holder only slips onto the belt, It is like a "U" shape and is inclined to slip off. If you buy one of these saws I suggest that you make a canvas holster for it to drop into.
    Some words for the safety aspect on all these Draw saws: They are really sharp. If you cut yourself it will take a long time to heal and generally will involve major tissue damage that will require proper stitches-not butterfly stitches or Super Glue. So wear a decent leather glove on your free hand.
    Saw LINK
    Last edited by happybonzo; 29-01-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Hiya Bonzo,
    I'm currently using a Wilkinson folding pruning saw £11.99 from Robert Dyas, and I have to say I agree with you. A perfectly good saw, cuts quickly and easily, doesn't cost an arm and a leg(unless you're careless). OK it may not have the sexiest name or reputation in the Bushcraft world but for the extra change left in my pocket I'm quite happy to put up with a couple of extra ounces it may weigh. Having used one regularly I'd recommend it!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

I'm a trendy Bahco user but having had my hands on a few SOG knives, I reckon their saw would probably be a good value solid carbon-bladed saw as well:

http://sogknives.com/store/F10.html

and (UK):

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Sog-Kn...p-92-103-5798/

Steve

You would be right about that SOG saw, Fletching.

I've had a couple of cheap folding saws in the past, and especially in green or wet wood, the blade would tend to bind up just at the point when I was on the push stroke, it would flex, and snap. I bought myself the SOG F-10 a couple of months ago, and one week ago today I finally had the opportunity to use it somewhere beside my backyard (Got out for a short showshoe jaunt in the Adirondack Park.)

First impresson is the overall length. It's several inches longer than the other portable saws I've used in the past so it feels like a real saw. The blade is thinner, but more flexible than the other saws I had also. It's approaching the thinness of a good woodworking saw, like a rip or crosscut saw, but not as thin as a japanese saw like a ryobi or dozuki.

It has a great, rubber grip that your hand will not slip on. I like the fact that the blade locks in both the open and closed positions, and it takes a good push with your thumb to unlock it. Easy with gloved or not gloved hands. (It was hovering around 0 degrees F when I was out snowshoeing.)

I zipped through a whole stack of deadfall to gather wood for a small fire and never had a problem with the blade binding (partly due to proper cutting technique, partly to the set of the teeth.) It's a smooth, aggressive cutter that is worth every penny in my book. I don't remember how much I paid, but I know it was less than $20 (USD) that's less than £13.

Josh
    Last edited by jbrown14; 30-01-2011 at 04:19 AM. Reason: forgot to sign my name... :)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBeaner View Post
    Hiya Bonzo,
    I'm quite happy to put up with a couple of extra ounces it may weigh.
    I'm quite sure that my Wilkinson must weigh far less than the Silky went missing. Next time I'm over at Chainsaws R Us I'll try and weigh a Silky.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I've started using the ones out of Lidl for £2.99, they seem to be every bit as good as a lapplander at a fraction of the price. I'm really trying to get away from all this in vogue must have kit..never had it as a kid and shouldn't really need it now.

i'v got a B&Q 7'' folding, never done me wrong for a cost of £ 4.00

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I used the Bahco 396 Lap Laplander Folding Saw which I picked up for cheap from Amazon years ago when they had a deal on, think it was about £8.

Still using it years later
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I've started using the ones out of Lidl for £2.99, they seem to be every bit as good as a lapplander at a fraction of the price. I'm really trying to get away from all this in vogue must have kit..never had it as a kid and shouldn't really need it now.
    I completely agree, I have been using a $9 Coghlans saw and it has served me well.
    http://www.coghlans.com/products/sierra-saw-8400
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

I've got a Bahco saw, its not the Laplander but is a 396. I like the fact there is some orange on the handle so when I put it down I don't lose it. Its so easy to lose green or camo stuf in dead leaves or long grass.
    cheers
    Gareth