Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 item challenge

5 item challenge

My bushcraft camping buddy has challenged me to a weekend camp in November in our local woods with only 5 items, we are taking are usual kit which is pretty similar to most average begginers but are only allowed to remove and use 5 items, we both start out with 50 points,10 for each item points are detucted for any extra item used from the kit if needed.
    What would you guys choose ?

Dry ration food will be in the packs but will cost points to remove
    Last edited by hinge; 06-10-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Hi Hinge,

the five items i would use from my kit would be para cord, tarp, fire lighting tin, cup and food

where you say five items from the pack is that 5 items out the pack at any one time or five items chosen are to last you all weekend? i assume its the later? does improvisation cost you points?, as sticks and other things can be improvised for utensils, tent pegs etc this can be done with out a knife too if you use a bit of savvy rocks for making notches, lashing of cord round sticks to make a fork type thing, this is of course if the improvisation does not cost you points.

reasons for my choices, para cord for lashing up the tarp & improvisation, tarp for shelter and a heat trap, fire tin is obvious, cup for cooking the dry food rations (assuming the dry food is packs of pasta/noodles or similar)

let us know how it pans out and the final score

cheers

Madz
    I'm a simple man, pleased by simple things...................Nature wins.

Take your time and do not rush, take in every thing while out in the brush.

Not really explained the point system properly sorry at the destination we remove the 5 chosen items anything we make using theses items camp craft wise utensils ect will give us points anything extra removed from the pack will lose us points hope tht explains it a little better.
    Tarp system(as my cordage is allredy attached)
    Bivvy bag as it will be cold
    Fire kit
    The big pan from the swedish trangia
    My trusty axe

Cutting tool, combustion device, cordage, container, cover just like Dave C

I hope you are taking a first aid kit and a method of contacting/signalling for help..... of course there would be no points deduction for using these
    [

Tribesman
    Like your 5 items hinge, is there a water supply in the woods?
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Of course the first aid kit will be going but will stay in the pack unless it is needed.the point system is to challenge us and will be a good way to see what kit we really need for a weekend in the woods

This sounds like fun, do let us know how you and your mate get on.
    Ansum La

Will do the trip is planned for the 8th-10th of Nov and we will go whatever the weather

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I agree with Sapper. Speaking as Pro's on a similar task/exercises gone by, there was always spare kit/emergency carried 'just incase'
    each member was First Aid/Medic trained anyway. I would suggest a Grab Bag with your suggested 5 items forage for the remainder
    Shelter/Water/Fire/Food & a large pack each cache on camp for emergencies. Basic C-Rats throughout the exercise, points deducted from
    the food larder, which in the task case was a ammo box,the more exotic the food the higher the points deducted, afterwards have a
    good 'gnosh' up. Please stay safe BTW.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Cutting tool, combustion device, cordage, container, cover just like Dave C
    I hope you are taking a first aid kit and a method of contacting/signalling for help..... of course there would be
    no points deduction for using these

No hunter force tasked to capture them though eh David ? Mind you I could rock up with my person locating K9's
    [