Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jam wine

Trapper
    Slightly off topic apologies in advance.

I've had a gallon of elderberry wine fermenting for about a week, just racked off from one Demi John to another, I may have inadvertently shook it slightly meaning the wine is cloudy in the new Demi John.

Having siphoned the wine the old fashioned way however, I am very aware that the wine tastes SUPERB up to now. Anyway, should I leave the wine as directed for 2 more weeks prior to bottling or just wait till it settles?

This is my 1st go at wine making so forgive my lack of knowledge! And again sorry for the thread hijack.
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

What is Ruthin?
    Ruthin is a place in north Wales. We had the last Northern soul meet there, and a good time was had by all
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Let it sit with the airlock on until it stops bubbling.

If it bubbles less than one bubble a minute, you know that the yeasts have fermented most of, if not all the sugars. Do you have a hydrometer and trial jar mate. Its one of the best pieces of equipment for brewing and the readings give you an indication of sugar contents.

Trapper
    Righto, I think the bubbles have slowed about less than a minute, I shall have to grab a hydrometer! As I say it tastes amazing now so if be happy to bottle it but trying to stay patient!!
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

If you are certain that it has finished fermenting, rack it off the sediment into a clean, sterilised demijohn and add a teaspoon of potassium sorbate and a crushed campden tablet. Make sure that you use both, otherwise it will not kill the remaining yeasties in the brew.

Leave for a few weeks and you will slowly see it start to clear. If you want it to hurry the clearing process, buy one of the many available clearing agents and add to brew. Bottle when clear.

If you want a hydrometer and trial jar, send me a pm with your details as I have a few of them.

Don't bottle without killing the yeasts off otherwise you might have bottle bombs.