Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jam wine

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    The recipe above makes a cracking wine. Personally, I don't use any more than 800g of sugar per gallon but it will still leave me with an average ABV of 12%. New brewers that follow this recipe sometimes question the amount of juice being used, and add more than listed. If you stick to what recipe Beermaker has provided, you will be pleasantly surprised with the final product once chilled before drinking.
    I can't take credit for this recipe - I learned it from the homebrew forum (www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk) and it does make a cracking drop of wine! To be honest, I put a kilo in because it comes in kilo bags and it saves me measuring it out! Also makes the wine a bit stronger so drink responsibly folks!!

Heyup Rasputin I'm good cheers - no damage today! Oddly enough I was cutting more steel with the grinder today but this time I wore my goggles!

Its a level tea spoon of each, and the jam does'nt have any preservatives in it

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    How much yeast and enzyme ?
    Make sure that the jam has no preservatives in its ingredients, other wise it will not ferment. If it has preservatives, bring to the boil with the water added and simmer for about ten minutes to drive them off, making sure that you don't add the yeast, enzyme and nutrient until it has cooled to about 21 degrees C.

No more than a teaspoon of general purpose wine yeast will be needed per gallon. I would add a couple of teaspoons of pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of nutrient for this recipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    is the yeast and enzyme easy to get hold of?
    most supermarkets sell it and if you use turbo yeast it speeds the process up no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    How much yeast and enzyme ?
    Make sure that the jam has no preservatives in its ingredients, other wise it will not ferment. If it has preservatives, bring to the boil with the water added and simmer for about ten minutes to drive them off, making sure that you don't add the yeast, enzyme and nutrient until it has cooled to about 21 degrees C.

No more than a teaspoon of general purpose wine yeast will be needed per gallon. I would add a couple of teaspoons of pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of nutrient for this recipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    If this is the beverage you very kindly let me have a mug (or seven) of, it was rather good and I would definitely recommend folks try some.

Now where did I put those demi-johns?
    Thats the one Colin I've never had a hang over since we started making it im permanently off my trolly only kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by beermaker View Post
    I can't take credit for this recipe - I learned it from the homebrew forum (www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk)
    A great forum, possibly the UK's best. I have been a member for a few years, but haven't been active for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    most supermarkets sell it and if you use turbo yeast it speeds the process up no end.
    You have to be very careful with the Turbo Yeasts when making Wines and Beers. They can give you 'Off Flavours' and that burning sensation to your brew when drinking it.

this time I wore my goggles!
    WOW ! a learning curve, lol thought I might of seen ya @ Ruthin, still maybe the next one, ATB, Ken BTW do you work full time ?
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

You have to be very careful with the Turbo Yeasts when making Wines and Beers. They can give you 'Off Flavours' and that burning sensation to your brew when drinking it.
    I'll bare that in mind thanks Chubbs and I will have a look at the wine Brewers site cheers for the link

It all sounds very nice indeed chaps!!

A great forum, possibly the UK's best. I have been a member for a few years, but haven't been active for a while.
    Good to find another member! Never used the turbo yeasts, always got good results using normal wine yeast.

I do learn sometimes Ken, but it usually takes a couple of goes! What is Ruthin?